24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

amsoil, and their products

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Last I knew, Amsoil air filters were oiled foam, kinda like on your lawnmower. Stopped dirt well but didn't flow real well.

Filters are tested with various sizes of "dirt". If you have 100% efficiency against a certain particle size, that means the filter will stop every particle that size in one pass. 60% efficiency means that the filter will only stop 60% of the particles of that size in one pass. Find out from Amsoil what their efficiency at 1 micron is. Not that 1 micron particles are harmful to your engine, they are too small to cause wear. With what you know now, look at Fleetguard's info again and see if it makes sense.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil's good stuff! My dad related a story to me the other day about some ambulances he used to maintain. They were Ford 1 ton vans converted, and had 460 engines that would overheat no matter what they did (they tried different brands and weights of oil, bigger dadiators, coller thermostats, etc etc.). In a last ditch effort (and a test that an amsoil distributor offered to run), they put amsoil oil in those engines. They never overheated once after that! They later added the bypass filter setup, so they only changed oil once a year.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 AM

The 1 micron rating has got to be for their BY-PASS filter element, and not a full flow filter. That's simply too restrictive for a full flow filter. You need to get the specs for their SDF filters, which more than likely are made by Baldwin, and are probably comparable to Fleetguard's specs.

I'm currently using the older version of their oiled foam air filter, but plan on ditching it soon for a BHAF paper filter, to get away from the oiled type filters for the turbo.

I believe there's info on BHAF in the tech facts section of this site.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 PM

I am running the Air filter, and it does fine. It is all oiled foam, but all indications are that it flows "better" than paper.....just my opinion. I ran the factory filter for 23K and I had noticed that my turbo would not spool as fast or carry 22PSI of boost. Since I changed to the Amsoil filter, the turbo spools faster, or so it seems. I can hear the turbo sing, much better than the paper filter.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:59 PM

I run Amsoil. Are you supposed to change it? I have 37 thousand plus on it now and will send out for an oil analysis in the next week or two. I have had several analysis's done and so far its still good to go. I am running the dual filter setup but would run the single bypass if I had it to do over again. The dual setup seems to lower the oil pressure 10-15 lb. My oil pressure guage stays just to the right of center (around 50 lb. I think) when its warm.
The air filter seems to work good for me, just make sure you oil it properlyl. It needs to be saturated to filter good, but if you overdo it, you will notice it in you intake.

I had planned to change the oil at 50 thousand as this is my first time with extended drains in Amsoil, but if the analysis's keep coming back as good as they have I might just leave it in..... Oh, I do add one quart with the full flow filter when I change it every 8 thousand miles.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:19 AM

Amsoil do market Oil filters "SD___" they offer hasting filters on certain fitments, but the RAM list an Amsoil oil filter, matter of fact I have a few sitting at the house waiting to be installed when I run out of Fleetgaurds. I have run Amsoil syn. oil in my other non diesel vehicles and change it out at 25k with filters every 5k. No remote bypass system. I will change the Ram to Amsoil around 35k, currently at 23K.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:32 AM

I am a distributer for Amsoil and the oil filters are made for them by Baldwin. I don't push their products, but they are good in my opinion. I change my 15/40 synthetic oil after 20K and change the filter at 10K. I was a skeptic at first but send in an oil sample every time I change a filter for analysis and have had no signs of wear. I have 150k on my 2000 now.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:52 PM

I've heard that the the Amsoil air filter is better at filtering out dirt than K&N, but doesn't quite compare to it in air flow. This a was an Amsoil rep telling me this though. I guess it also depends on what kind of environment you are driving in...dusty, salty, clear and so on. Just what I heard so I figured I'd pass it along...
Old 06-04-2004, 01:08 PM

I ran AMSOIL in three brand new vehicles, I personally had huge issues with it. I not saying it's bad oil. But I personally don't believe it has the lubricating properties of regular oil for the gaskets. All three vehicles had to have all the engine gaskets changed due to dry rot. Just my experience I never had this problem with regular oil.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:24 AM

That's a common problem when switching from conventional oil to any brand of synthetic in older engines.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM

They were Brand NEW, switched to Amsoil on first oil change.

Quick Reply: amsoil, and their products