24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Alternator Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
That looks like they are referring to 5.9L gas engines, not diesel. I would assume there is a difference in mounting, as well as the pulley. Sometime in the late 90s, they changed the style of the field connection on the back of the alternator too. Your field wires probably plug in to the alt. with a plastic connector, and the older ones have 2 small studs to attach eyelets to.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right after I posted I noticed that they are talking about the 360 engines being it mentions a Ramcharger. Most likly get the one from Fosters trucks.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 PM

I put an Alterstart alternator on mine last November when the OEM went south. It's the same case and pulley as the Denso, which they're uppped to 205 amp output. It's output at engine idle speed is 100 amps, a real plus in winter when the grid heaters are cycling.

It required 4.0 gauge charge wire directly to the driver's battery. The alternators on these trucks are externally regulated through the ECM, I had to hook up the OEM regulating wires, but left the charge wire off, and routed new cable to the driver's battery.

So far, so good. It was $250 plus shipping and new 4.0 gauge cable.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alternators

Well The first thing I would ask the guy that said that it was bad would be what were the spec's of the parts.This way one can ask here for tech info. Here are mine that I measured for my 99 Do_G_ crap. I meggered the windings at 1000 volts it was good. 15 micro farads for the capacitor. and the voltages for the diodes were somewhere about 0.700 volts they varied ??? 0.048 volts. I still have them somewhere, read them the other month, just not in front of me. Sorry
Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Well just got a 120amp HD alternator from the UPS man,we got it from a company out of Dallas,TX,it was $201.99 shipped. Well I started reading the instruction included and looking at the alternator,the alternator does not have a plug in the back for two wires it has two studs instead. While reading the instructions it does mention about needing a 4gauge cable to the battery and about leaving the charge wire off and stuff. The other thing that cuaght my eye was that it states that the original AMP METER in the truck will not work with the HD alt. it says I would need to buy another one for the alternator to mount in the truck, what is was hoping is that I don't have to do that. Does anyone know if its is true?

Thanks Jeff
Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM

My truck doesn't have an amp meter, only a voltmeter. The OEM volt meter works fine with the 205 amp alternator.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM

I just seen what alt you got,I got an Alterstart one too just 120amp. Does yours have the plug in in the back or does it have two studs in the back? All you had to do was run a 4guage cable to the positive poll on the main battery,and you di9d not hook up the charging wire, Correct?

Thanks jeff
Old 04-29-2006, 04:36 PM

Correct. I have the studs. The connector for the regulating wires is an integral one, and it fits right into place on the new alternator. Just do not fasten the charge wire, and tape it up with electrical grade tape. I guess since the OEM alternator is 120 amp output, I'm wondering why they want the heavier gauge charge cable on the one you bought?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Well we gave them a call and they said it is a universal alt. for Dodge rams and dakota so they want the heavier guage for them. The alternator that was on the ruck when we bought it was 136 amps,so we just just hooked the main wire on the big stud and then spliced eyelet ends on to the two wire that were a plug and just hooked it up. It works great,the instruction are a universal thing that comes with all their alternators.

Now we are in the process of detailing it to put it up for sale.

Jeff