24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Allison Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allison Transmissions

Does Allison make an automatic trans that will bolt up to a 1999 5.6 litre cummins? My torque converter is almost gone and my tranny slips bad in first and second gear.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:43 PM
DPG

Re:Allison Transmissions

frankross:<br><br>I don't know about Allison, but there are alternatives out there that do work: DTT and ATS to mention two. Both companies make excellent transmissions, and trans upgrades for our 5.9 Cummins engines. I have a 1999 3500 with the DTT upgrades, and I love it. Jack, for one, has the ATS and I know that he loves his as well. There is much information here about these particular companies. You can do a search to find out more. Good luck!<br><br>DeWain
Old 12-05-2002, 06:46 PM

allison makes a couple transmissions that bolt up to a cummins 5.9 (used in bus/truck applications generally). i wouldn't get an allison though-- too much work. get a modifed transmission like DTT, ATS, BD, GB, etc. you can do different stages.<br><br>Tom<br><br>btw, DO NOT make this a tranny war thread, we don't need another one :
Old 12-05-2002, 08:12 PM

Who needs an allison? When you get the DTT with the smart controller it will shift down into 3rd lockup Automatically when slowing, and do pretty much the same as the Allison.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Freightliner runs the 2000 Series Allison in there Sport Chassis, Freightliner Chassis Specialty Vehicles and Business Class models with the 12 and 24 valve ISB and ISC CTD. This tranny is a step above the over-rated 1000 series put in the Chevrolet. You may have a heck of a time with the electronic controls hooking up though. IMHO, Chuck3 is right, there are some really good performance tranny companies out there for your CTD. You would be money and time ahead to just upgrade your existing tranny.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read the history of the making of Durajunk it is stated right in the original article that Chevs Series 1000 Allison was a GM designed case with Allison guts shoe horned in to accommadate the &quot;existing tranny hump&quot; in the cab design. A traditional Allison is quite square in design and won't fit under a pickup cab without extensive body work, we have an old Chev 6500 in the back yard with a AT545 allison and the tranny hump sits back 8-10&quot; and 5-6&quot; higher than a p/u. The other problem with Allison is in order to get overdrive you need a New World series tranny and the cost used rebuilt is about $6-10 grand without the electronic shift tower set up. Thats why baby Freightliners, 4300 IH's etc; cost so much everything is more expensive per component. There are 3 basic true round bell housing sizes in the industry for trucks with the B Cummins being the small, tranny options are vast and it really depends what kind of body work/cost one wants to do. My project RV puller is an 82 Kenworth front clip and frame with a 3126B Electronic Cat, Allison NW, 23K lbs rearend with 3.70 gears.(still in back yard in pieces) What I discovered was it is easier to buy a used KW/Peterbilt for about $10-12k, take out front diff, shorten frame and then drive it for less than a p/u. PK
Old 12-07-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best part of the Allison 1000 I like is the extra low first gear. It's the biggest single reason why the D/As are as fast as they are.<br><br>Another thing I've noticed is GM has just about had as many problems with the Allison as the rest of the D/A combined.