24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

All kinds of Probs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy All kinds of Probs!

Ok, here is the probs I'm having. TC was shuddering, had new tc installed, Figured while the tranny was off I'd have it rebuilt along with the rear end. After picking it up it wouldn't down shift into 1st. Took it back they adjusted the tv cable and seemed fine. Now it will stay in od at 45mph unless I really hammer on it. It will then shift down along with a serious hesitation. Another thing is when coming to a complete stop sometimes the there is a jerk in the driveline, and almost every time when taking off it seems as though there is slack in the driveline for a 1/2 second or so then it hits and drives normal. right after the tranny was rebuilt I had new tires put on it. Have had them rebalanced 3 times by a couple different shops and still a wobble/vibration. U-joints are good and have also replaced the carrier bearing. Also replaced the rear shocks and stabilizer links. Was wondering if this might not be the tires but something in the driveline. Any and all ideas would be helpful. Can't afford to keep dumping money into this truck and not solve the problem!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agressive tread tires frequentlly wobble and vibrate. With tire off ground and rotated you can frequentlly see the porblem.
I suspect tv cable is still out of adjustment and perhaps shift lever.
Shift lever check is move shift lever toward neutral with ign switch in crank position. It should start cranking at a equal distance to neutral gate from either direction.
The throttle lever must be fully forward wth throttle at idle. Lever on side of tranny must move immediatelly and smoothly with throttle. Long cable delays upshifts and cable being held off stop at idle delays shifts.