24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

All I want is a new lift pump!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I want is a new lift pump!

Please read this and then tell me I have no stress in my life!

I called my dealer service department about a failing lift pump in my truck. I was told that I would have to leave the truck over night because they would have to take fuel pressure measurements and give them to Daimler/Chrysler and then they would have to wait for Daimler/Chrysler to send them a new lift pump. I requested that I bring the truck into the dealer service department so that they could take the measurements, then they could call me when the new lift pump came in to make another appointment for the install so I could have use of my truck. They made me an appointment for 11:00 AM today. I went in to the dealership today at 11:00 so they could take the measurements. I waited about 45 minutes and was then told that the Diesel mechanic wasn't there. The service manager then told me that since I had a fuel pressure gauge installed on my truck that they could use the numbers from my gauge. He never even looked at the gauge, he just wrote down the numbers I gave him. He said that the lift pump would probably be received in about four days. I left the dealership wondering why I had wasted a half day with this fiasco. By the time I had arrived home, I had a voice mail from the service manager stating that the lift pump was in stock in the parts department. It had been on the shelf all along. I was told that they could install it in the morning. I asked what time in the morning I should bring the truck in. The service manager replied that any time in the morning would be good but that the Diesel mechanic wouldn't be in until sometime after noon. He said he would call me in the morning. :'( >

I am asking that all of you pray for me tomorrow so that I don't beat this guy's head in with the hammer they'll probably use to replace the pump. :-X
Old 10-01-2003, 06:07 PM

Re:All I want is a new lift pump!

I told my dealer that I had no fuel pressure at all and of coarse they wouldn't take my word for it either. I asked if they could have a tech take just a minute (or less) and put a gauge on it to verify what I had told them, but they made me make an appointment and leave the truck. I dropped the truck off at 7:30 am and called after lunch and nobody had looked at it yet. Called again at 6 pm and they still hadn't checked it. Called at 7 pm and they said I had no fuel pressure and they would have to replace the lift pump, which they had in stock, but didn't have time to finish that day so it would be ready the next day.

Don't you just love being treated like an idiot?

Old 10-01-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Cummins buy new pump install yourself, learn about your truck and deny them the money they would earn by billing excess amounts for warranty or you. Satisfaction comes from a job well done by you. PK
Old 10-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned

What he said.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:40 PM

All depends on the dealer. I took my fuel pump off, drove to the dealer hundred miles away, and told them that they could bench test the pump and give me a new one, or have my truck towed in. They called the district rep who said "don't bother, give him the pump," and I was on my way out the door with a part-under-warranty, having the satisfaction of knowing that the pump would be installed properly and there'd be no greasy footprints on the interior carpet.

I think they worry more about labor than parts in these warranty situations.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:32 PM
LE

The labor rate for a warranty item / repair is less than a standard repair. Also, there are Cummins owners who have submitted a bill for a lift pump (trucks are under warranty) to DC along with a nasty letter and have received checks from DC reimbursing them for the cost of the part. Seems that DC will help out some of their customers who get in a bind, and do not trust their local dealers. FWIW. LE
Old 10-02-2003, 01:00 AM

Repeat After Me

"I am my own Warranty Station"

DB
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM

[quote author=DarrellB link=board=4;threadid=20412;start=0#msg191740 date=1065074415]
Repeat After Me

DB
[/quote]
I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION :

BTW Darrell, I sent you an email about joining the IN chapter.

Gary
Old 10-02-2003, 02:30 PM

by "Go to Cummins" does this mean a physical trip ..... to Columbus, or is there an online place to buy items?

and ........... "I am my own warranty station" 8)
Old 10-02-2003, 04:28 PM

[quote author=rattle_rattle link=board=4;threadid=20412;start=0#msg191843 date=1065108547]
[quote author=DarrellB link=board=4;threadid=20412;start=0#msg191740 date=1065074415]
Repeat After Me

DB
[/quote]
I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION :

BTW Darrell, I sent you an email about joining the IN chapter.

Gary

[/quote]

I sent you a PM last night.

I'll email you tonight to.

DB
Old 10-02-2003, 05:41 PM

Well... Good news and bad news....

The new lift pump is installed. My pressure at idle is 11 PSI and 4 PSI at WOT. I think I am going to move the gauge from the test port to another place. Where is the best place to connect for the FP measurement? Boy, I sure hate to have to go through this ordeal again and again until I get a good pump.

I talked to the Diesel mechanic today and it seems that he owns a CTD himself and is into bombing. His comment was, "The next time you bring it in for warranty service, you can leave the Edge EZ installed. Your warranty will still be good." I guess it was the Velcro on the fuse box that gave it away. He also says that he is the one that makes the call on whether the warranty is in effect or not.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

The test port is where the factory checks it as well. That's the best spot to check it. I'd start looking into an aftermarket system of some sort.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:58 PM

There is a Brand New Lift Pump on E-bay and right now it is at $75. Maybe this will help ????
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 PM
gs

i let bay dodge tow mine three times before they got it right ;D one time they told me a rat chewed some wire just so they could charge me for something >
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 PM

Where is the best place to connect for the FP measurement?
Don't know if it's the best, but you can get a tapped banjo bolt and swap it out with the "out" banjo bolt on the lift pump. Just connect the fp line to the tapped banjo bolt. That'll keep the test port clear, and the pressure should be the same.

Quick Reply: All I want is a new lift pump!