24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Airdog

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airdog

Allright guys -

In the quest to replace my 3rd -4th lift pump (carter)......I have been considering other options. Leaning towards this Airdog option - as sounds like those who have installed them have had very good luck. (Dont sound to bad to install either?) Keep in mind I'll be doing this in a snow bank at 4 deg F. LOL. Before I order one .....

Couple things:

Are these "airdog filters" specific ? (Can I pick them up at carquest?)

If this thing does fail me (it is afterall mechanical) will I be at a dead standstill? (One thing I like about the carters - can still limp home - and I can carry a spare behind the seat). Cant afford to carry a spare 500 pump behind the seat.

Installation difficult? I have the big line kit up above, from the frame - through the LP, Filter housing and to the VP44.

This will eliminate my stock LP / and filter housing / heater? Can I leave these in place?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverRam01
Allright guys -

In the quest to replace my 3rd -4th lift pump (carter)......I have been considering other options. Leaning towards this Airdog option - as sounds like those who have installed them have had very good luck. (Dont sound to bad to install either?) Keep in mind I'll be doing this in a snow bank at 4 deg F. LOL. Before I order one .....

Couple things:

Are these "airdog filters" specific ? (Can I pick them up at carquest?)

If this thing does fail me (it is afterall mechanical) will I be at a dead standstill? (One thing I like about the carters - can still limp home - and I can carry a spare behind the seat). Cant afford to carry a spare 500 pump behind the seat.

Installation difficult? I have the big line kit up above, from the frame - through the LP, Filter housing and to the VP44.

This will eliminate my stock LP / and filter housing / heater? Can I leave these in place?

Thanks.

I installed the air dog, not a auto parts item, I removed the fuel filter and went straight to the vp. if the air dog fails it will flow fuel, per charlie the owner who drove 500 miles in that condition. filter change is about one a year. my pressures are 24 to 20 psi. and got rid of the 10.6 to 7 fluctuations of the stock pump and hard start problem. good luck Ed
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM

Hi Ed,
I just want let everyone know, The failure of my AirDog was an assembly issue. When assembling an electric motor, you must absolutely not touch the commutator plates with your bare fingers. Body oil, etc will affect the copper and the brushes will eat through the plates very quickly. The person that assembled my AirDog is still hanging by his heels in the warehouse. (Just kidding, of course, we cut him down after only one month!)

Charlie
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Silverram01,
There is a guy on another site that is selling Airdog units at a very good price. He is very reputable and knowledgeable. His screen name over there is "smokincummins" and his name is Matt. Read this thread to get some more info.
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....of_the_century
good luck....
Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Great - thanks. Still come with warranty?

Noticed the airdog website said "limited express warranty".....what does "limited express mean?"

Is this a true 6 year warranty?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Limited Express Warranty means that it is limited and the extent of the warranty is stated. One limit could be for abuse. Thats like when your wife takes your keys away from you for dragging your neighbors RV down the street on its side practicing hookin' up for pulls, you get mad, kick the cat, the cat runs under the truck to get away, gets tangled up in the AirDog wiring harness and rips it out. We would not cover the wiring harness or the cat!

Sec. 2-313 of the U. C. C. states that express warranties by the seller are created as follows: Any affirmation of fact or promise made by the seller to the buyer which relates to the goods and becomes part of the basis of the bargain creates an express warranty that the goods shall conform to the affirmation or promise. LIMITED means you better read the fine print!

The 'limited' factor limits a warranty by certain things We warrant our products to be free of manufacturing defects for the stated period. This does not cover failure from abuse or misuse. We limit our liability to only the replacement of the defective product with a new, or like new replacement product or if we decide its is proper, we have the right to just refund the full purchase price paid. If it is the wiring harness (yes, we look for cat hair!) that is defective, we replace the wiring harness. If it is the AirDog or Raptor itself, yes we will replace it and we have a very consumer friendly policy. We do not send you parts for you to try and fix it!

There is more to our Limited Express Warranty. However, it is designed to take care of you the customer in a very quick and painless manner. We work hard to design and manufacture top notch quality products. But, we are human and we will make a mistake from time to time. How well we take care of those who are the unfortunates that wind up with one of these mistakes will be the judge of our company. As we are also consumers, our warranties are written in the manner that we feel is fair should we be on the other end.

And yes, as we build our website further our warranty will be posted for all to see. If you are afraid to publish your warranty, you must be afraid of what it says!

Charlie
Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the information Charlie.

Do you expect I'd have any problems with this system in my northern climate? (A little concerned about eliminating my fuel heater - 8 deg F here this morning in SD)
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM

If you don't prepare, you can always have problems with diesel in cold climates. I have never had a problem with Fuel Preporators and diesel fuel in cold weather. I have run them on the big trucks and diesel pickups. I can't say you will never have a problem, but if you use anti-gelling additives and buy good fuel you will minimize the chance of problems.

Charlie
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

How much hp is the Airdog made to support? I need a system that supports 550hp+. Which pump do you recommend?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
J Lent:

As I recall, the Air Dog 100 is good up to 500 H.P. and above that I think Charlie recommends the Air Dog 150.

--------
John_P
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John_P
J Lent:

As I recall, the Air Dog 100 is good up to 500 H.P. and above that I think Charlie recommends the Air Dog 150.

--------
John_P
Thanks John, thats what I figured. I have the Fass 150 right now, but I want to get some filters to eliminate my stock filter housing. What good are 1/2" lines with a restriction dead center?