24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Aftermarket fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket fuel pumps

I have been watching the threads on here for a long time and I am noticing a trend that shows the aftermarket pumps are failing at a rate about equal to the stock pumps. And not just the DDRP's, the higher end ones are arriving DOA, and dying young. I was on the fence about a Fuel Boss but I think if I am going to spend that kind of money and have to depend on the pump then that is the way to go. Keep a spare belt zip tied under the hood and good to go.

Rick
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my fass has been on for 7 years still runs perfect. installed 2 on other trucks still running 1 is 6 years old the other is 4
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM

I just replaced my original lift pump from 98 a year ago, I am not saying they are all bad but it seems they are no better than the ones they are replacing therefor not worth the extra 200 plus dollars. I am sure the OEM electric pumps are like the VP-44, the internet would have you believe that every single one of them is bad but there are millions of them out there and I can be pretty sure the majority of them have survived. Mine was running with 0 pressure from the lift pump for who knows how long, still running just fine. I am just saying that I am seeing a lot of complaints of bad aftermarket pumps lately. The funny thing is that nobody is putting them down like they do the OEM pumps that are doing the very same thing.

Rick
Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM

I think the reason for the put down on OEM pumps is the poor pressure, not longevity. I personally have used the FASS and the Raptor now and very pleased with them and they are cheaper than buying from the dealer which is my main complaint. dodge thinks they have you by the ++++'s !
Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Read post 7 and 8 especially.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...l-t303108.html

Figured I would add this one in.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m-t303432.html
Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well all I can say about the oe pump is that I saw my fuel pressure drop to zero to many times and 6 months after the new oe pump it did it again and 6 months later again so after the 3rd pump,I installed the fass.It did not seem to hurt my VP with the loss of pressure because its still the original factory VP 44 pump but I sure feel better that my fuel pressure is rock solid at 17 psi
Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm not sure what threads you've been reading to make you think that. Yes, the older FASS DDRP's had a reputation of failure but I believe FASS has fixed any issues with that pump since Pureflow introduced the Raptor FRRP. Also simply because companies like FASS and Pureflow stepped up and created a fuel pump to answer mostly the needs of the Dodge Cummins 2nd gen fuel system, there was bound to be some wrinkles which needed ironing out over the years. But really I understand that the reliability of the more expensive FASS fuel pumps and Pureflows Airdog and Raptor fuel pumps have been rather good. The Fuel Boss is supposed to be pretty nice pump as well but pretty pricy too. Honestly if my Raptor decided to fall off the truck and Pureflow didn't help me out, I would probably look at the Fuel Boss.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i'm still running the campaign pump i put on 6 years ago
Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Katoom, Read posts 7 and 8 in this thread. Isn't this the online store and top vendor for it?

That is my main reference.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I think that in the past a fuel pump failed and your truck quit til you fixed it, but with the vp44 you not only replace a $200 fuel pump, you may also get to replace a $1500 injection pump because of poor design.

My idea would be a pressure switch that cuts the vp when pressure drops to zero, killing the fuel til the lift pump is repaired and saving the vp.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM

My 429 SCJ Mustang had that for oil pressure. No oil pressure, no run. I like the Fuel Boss because it eliminates the electrical issues plus it increase flow with RPM as needed. Plus you still have the electric to prime the system for filter changes plus start-up. I don't understand why they cannot come up with a in-tank pump that works. All of the other brands seem to be able to work it out. The gassers have in-tank pumps that go well over a hundred thousand miles consistently.

Rick
Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FASS 95gpm

I installed the FASS 95 6-8yrs ago and have had no problems at all. I have had a few fuel pressure gauge failures and hiccups, but in the end it was never the pump. I hate to say much because that's usually when something fails, but I've got nearly 11k hrs on that pump. The FASS fuel pump is the ONLY aftermarket product that I put on the truck that has actually done what the company claimed. I suppose it will fail this week and I will eat crow, but the FASS pump is by far the best money I've spent on the truck.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf
Katoom, Read posts 7 and 8 in this thread. Isn't this the online store and top vendor for it?

That is my main reference.
rickf, me being an overly **** person about stuff like this, I understand your concerns, but.....just as much as these forums offer huge amounts of information and experience to those looking for help and answers, they can also create massive amounts of anxiety, apprehension, and frustration. There's plenty of times I'll stop logging on to all these forums for awhile simply because constantly hearing about all the failures and breakdowns can stop me from loving my truck for everything its done for me, but in turn fearing to drive it. There are hundred of thousands of these trucks on the road and there's only a small handful of members posting threads. Something I have to keep in mind.

I also cant speak for anything about that thread you linked where supposedly Pureflow had an employee issue with a forum member. If that truly happened like it was relayed then that's unfortunate, but all I can go by is the good experience I had with them and the many threads where others apparently did too. In saying that, I have seen a few treads where someone was either doing something wrong or didn't do what Pureflow instructed which led to problems and disputes between consumer and company. Something you'd expect more often than not with aftermarket companies selling to DIY consumers who may or may not have enough auto mechanic knowledge to be performing the job. I'm an advocate that anyone "should" be able to do anything their mechanic can do but maybe that's being enthusiastic. Also, as I mentioned, the FASS DDRP had its fair share of problems but I think FASS worked those out. Being that FASS and Pureflow consisted of a father/son relationship that didn't work out, it seems that sometimes that animosity ends up in the forums. Lastly, these companies can be at the mercy of the contracted assembly people. Thats not meant to say if there's an issue that its not the company's fault but that how are they supposed to know and deal with it unless the consumers let them know.

As I mentioned, I like the "concept" of the Fuel Boss. Are there enough of them out there to determine if they're as "perfect" as one would be led to believe? I'm not sure, but I'd probably say no there's not given how expensive they are and how much more involved the install can be. Until the Fuel Boss becomes more popular, you wont read about the multiple problems related. Thats not to say there will be anything wrong with the Fuel Boss either because it sounds like a good design and is a well built product. As I also mentioned, I would definitely give one a try if something went completely haywire with my Raptor.

You comment about gas engines having fuel pumps in the tank which last for hundred of thousands of miles is valid. That should make someone ask whats the deal and why cant they make a diesel fuel pump that can do the same. I'm not sure either. Something about diesel fuel that is overly harsh on such components because the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins by any means isn't the only diesel to have fuel pump issues but merely that the 2nd gen always gets front page press because if the fuel pump craps out or fails then it takes out the expensive VP along with it.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM

rickf - I feel ya. It can be frustrating dealing with these things.

Bought my truck, drove it for a few months before putting in gauges. When I did I found she was making 5 psi at idle and 0 at WOT. Stock Carter was replaced with the Raptor stock replacement. That died on me while hauling a couple months ago and took the VP44 down with it. Who knows how much prior damage the IP had leading up to the Raptor failure. Truck has about 110k on it.

I switched the lift pump back to a Carter and changed out the VP44 (not that hard of a job, just expensive). The Carter was making 8 psi idle, 3 WOT after everything was replaced. Meanwhile Airdog did provide good customer service: they sent me out a new Raptor factory replacement fairly quick.

Couldn't stomach putting the replacement one on, at least not in the stock location. Considered mounting it myself back by the tank but time is money so I just pulled the trigger on a new AD100 at a local shop. Airdog's customer service had been good enough for me to keep supporting their company and many people still rave about their pumps, especially when mounted back by the tank.

Yeah, if this fails on me I will be getting a Fuel Boss. Right now I feel like I have a reliable truck though, and I am not going to stress it. Hopefully I lowered the chances of having fuel starvation to an acceptable level. Get crazy with it if you want and put two pumps inline for extra reliability. Or, like I did, leave the stock lift pump there but bypassed. You can be ready to hook it back up in a minute or two if your other lift fails.

One thing I like is that the Airdogs come with a connection for an annunciator on the wiring harness. I didn't notice my lift pump FP had dropped to 0 psi until my VP44 stopped and I was coasting up a hill with a 24' trailer, dead engine, and no shoulder. I just don't look at the gauge enough while driving so I want a light flashing in my face.

Whatever you do, don't stress it!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:12 AM

I've been running the fass 150 since about 02 or 03 knock on wood with not one problem.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket fuel pumps