24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 dreaded dead pedal

i have an 02 cummins 2500 6 speed. im 40 days past warranty and Dodge does not want to talk to me. i called the 1 800 # but the Rep said after 3 days of waitin that my claim was denied. my dead petal is getting worse, im so upset. i bought the truck used in May 06, but after contacting the original owner i learned of a OEM lift pump failure in 04, could that be the prob. a new pump was installed by the dealer then, and i have a fuel pressure gauge and high volume pump that has never fell under 20lbs. was the past prob enough. do i hire a lawyer. what do i do?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 PM

i checked odometer codes and got P PCU . what does that mean? if Dodge is retro fitting in-tank pumps they r aware of a bad design. something stinks here fellas, anyone agree.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by brandikestong
i have an 02 cummins 2500 6 speed. im 40 days past warranty and Dodge does not want to talk to me. i called the 1 800 # but the Rep said after 3 days of waitin that my claim was denied. my dead petal is getting worse, im so upset. i bought the truck used in May 06, but after contacting the original owner i learned of a OEM lift pump failure in 04, could that be the prob. a new pump was installed by the dealer then, and i have a fuel pressure gauge and high volume pump that has never fell under 20lbs. was the past prob enough. do i hire a lawyer. what do i do?

The lift pump failure probably had little or nothing to do with your dead pedal issue. It is actually caused by failure of solder joints in the FPCM (fuel pump control module), which is an integral part of the VP44, so yes you still have a bad injection pump. The lift pump failure only hurts the mechanical parts of the VP44. On the upside, the newer VP44s are supposedly fitted with upgraded electronics that aren't as prone to cracked solder joints.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 PM

i checked odometer codes and got P PCU . what does that mean? if Dodge is retro fitting in-tank pumps they r aware of a bad design. something stinks here fellas, anyone agree.
P PCU just means it's reading the codes from the PCU (Powertrain Control Module); that's the module that's mounted to the firewall I believe on the passenger side behind the air filter housing. Did you shut the key off immediately after P PCU was displayed? If so, try again but keep waiting to see if any more codes show up, until they start to repeat from the beginning. The 2 main ones that confirm a dead VP44 are the P1688 and the P0216. The P0216 is the one my truck was displaying when I had my dead pedal problem before I changed out my VP44.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Chapter President

I just got back from Milford, Georgia and when I was going down and had passed Chattanooga I had the cruise set at 70mph. Then I felt a bump like you mashed the go pedal. I noticed it was around 65mph, I thought at first it was maybe because I had just coasted down 2 miles of mountain. Then it did it again ten miles later. I shut the cruise off and went on to southern Georgia with no problems, until I accidentally hit the cruise button again before I got to a friends house. Same thing, mash the pedal and nothing, clutch in and revs up, let the clutch out and sometimes still nothing or maybe it'll go.

On the way back it did it alot coming up to Atlanta, especially on that stretch before Macon, the road has the texture of a wash board. I ended up just leaving it in gear, keying off and then back on and would hit the throttle and it would go. Took an hour break at the Cracker Barrel and drove the next 200 miles care free. Code found, P1693 and according to the Dodge service manual for a 2002 a code 1693 means this,

P1693- "DTC Detected in Companion Module" the description is basically a fault has been set in the companion module(ecm) and the P1693 sets in the PCM. Funny thing is that the book says it is supposed to turn on the MIL but in all the times it has happened to me I have looked for the check engine light and nothing.

Well, time to go to the dealer with my deduct, I sure am glad I decided against any mods such as boxes, injectors and all. Let them try and say that my fuel pressure gauge killed the electronics on my VP with the history said VP has. I guess that $2000 I paid for the extended warranty is gonna pay off.

I hope you guys get yours taken care of. I was worried about pulling this 16,500#'s of truck,trailer and tractor up Monteagle, but it never let me down. Good Cummins....Baaadddddd VP44
Old 03-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=171690
please read this