24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ABS sensor warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS sensor warning

When I bought my truck it had an B&W gooseneck hitch already installed. This is the type where you pull the little lever out and you can pull the ball out for use, or tuck it in flush when not in use.

This option is very nice when not in use and hidden, BUT...

When I put my camper on, the weight of it combined with the first big bump drove the "hidden" ball right into my ABS sensor in the rear end pumpkin and broke it in half. This caused the "ABS" and the "Brake" dash lights to come on.

So, I took the camper off, and took the truck into the shop, not knowing what caused the problem at this point in time. A few months later, I did the same thing. They gave me a free sensor this time though...

The third time, and pulling my hair out by now, I didn't have time to take the camper off, and this is how the mechanic found the upside down gooseneck ball perilously hovering directly above the sensor again! Just waiting for the first bump to smash into it again!.

I immediately jacked the camper up and pulled forward enough to pull the ball hitch out of the plate, and set it in the cab, under the rear seat! Put the camper back on and no more problems. YAY!

Sorry for the long post, but maybe it will help someone else from doing the same thing..