24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

about to loose my mind

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to loose my mind

i have a 2000 dodge 2500. this past thursday 1/29 i upgraded the lift pump from a stock replacement to a fass drp. i replaced it when i did the injection pump about 2 years ago, i have a low fuel pressure warning light that was not on at the time i replaced the lift pump with the fass pump. the next morning the truck started fine, went to work, ran fine, got out of work, ran fine. last night i went to leave my house and it started right up, then stalled out. i cranked it over a few times, the truck sputtered then started right up. it did this again later last night. once it was running it ran fine, no surging, sputtering or stalling. this morning it did not want to start again, got it going by just cranking the motor. went to the coffee shop and when i came out it wouldnt start again. i checked the lift pump, its turning on, fuel filter is filling up. thought maybe some air got into the system somehow so i cracked 3 injector lines free, it started up, ran for about 10 seconds then shut off again. it will not start at all now. i loosened the lines again and there is barley any fuel coming out of the lines. i cycled the key 3 times and got p1693 for a code. im really hoping that its not the injection pump again but im looking for some input. if after reading this book of a post anyone can help me out, i would be forever greatful.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Bluechip Diesels website has a tremendous troubleshooting area for diagnosing fuel related issues with the VP44
Old 02-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it ran fine before you changed the lift pump then I would look for air/fuel leaks on all the connections that you worked on most likely something is loose?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the link to the Bluechip site for VP44 diagnostics

http://m.bluechipdiesel.com/site/vp4...ostichelp.html
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM

I went through all the diagnostics before I left the truck, aside from opening the fuel filter housing and making sure the fuel was pumping in. I did open the drain on the side of the housing, a lot of fuel did rush out.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Update: plugged a scan tool in and there's 2 codes. P0230 and p1693. I read up on p0230 and I'm a little lost. If the truck was running fine before I put the fass pump in, all the wires seem to be in good shape, and it ran right after I put it in, why do I get an electrical problem now?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Update #2: fass pump is working fine, I opened fuel filter and it filled up quick, but it was dry when I first took filter out. I had to put the truck on a charge because the batteries are too low to bleed air from injectors and try to start it.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Second "sounds like you are getting air in the lines"

Relax and recheck everything you messed with on 1/29...
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0230 Transfer Pump (Lift Pump) Circuit Out of Range.
Problem detected in fuel transfer pump circuits.

Does your lift pump fuel pressure gauge show good?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
How did you connect the FASS? Its possible that the ECM is no longer supplying 12 volts to the lift pump circuit. Its not terribly uncommon for this to happen and people are forced to tie their fuel pump into direct keyed power using a secondary relay. If you're not getting fuel then make sure the fuel pump is actually pumping. If not then check to see if its even getting power.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 PM

alright, sorry for the long response to you guys. unfortunately the world did not want me to work on my truck for a week! snow and broken water mains put a hindrance on my free time. I just started plugging away at the truck, figuring i was getting air in the lines. sixslug you were right. the fuel filter fass gave me came with 4 spring style hose clamps which were for show im assuming, because they didnt do anything as far as sealing the lines. i replaced all 4 with screw style clamps, opened up the fuel/water separator and bumped the starter. after it filled i began bleading from the injectors. the truck started back up, after it cleared out it sounded to be running normal, no fuel leaking from the filter. i havent checked the codes yet to see if it cleared out, besides, i dont think theres been enough starts/time to clear it from the system. what i think happened was those clamps were allowing air to enter the fuel system not while it was running, but when i shut it off. then, when i would try to start it back up, the pump would pull air and a little fuel which was causing the code to come up. i got the truck back to my house and ill have to wait for a few hours to see if it holds fuel pressure. so far so good. thank you all for your help, i will make another post once ive got a few cold starts on the truck and everything is normal. fingers crossed
Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here....fingers crossed.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Sweet! It usually comes down to the last thing you worked on!

Good deal.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Sweet! It usually comes down to the last thing you worked on!

Good deal.
Cant tell ya how much this should be preached.....
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM

started the truck up first thing this morning, still fired right up, no skip or flutter in the idle. so far so good, thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: about to loose my mind