24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 dodge wont start without ether, then runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 dodge wont start without ether, then runs fine

it has 100 hp injectors, but it wont start hot or cold without ether, its a vp44, someone told me it could just be the shutoff solonoid, the lift pump is working and has some pressure, but kinda makes a lot of noise? i have a brand new vp pump sittin here by my computer but im afraid if i put it on there it wont fix the problem.. any ideas? theres no fuel leaks or air bubbles and the heater plates working like it should. should i just put the ip on and hope it fixes the problem?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by banks twinram
should i just put the ip on and hope it fixes the problem?
Not without a better idea of what the problem is. You could send me $100 instead. I won't fix it either but it will be cheaper than throwing parts at it.

Will it start again after you hit it with ether and shut it off? What fuel pressure does it run at? What fuel pressure does the LP kick to with key to run the 1st time? Is the sequence exactly normal except that it won't hit? When was the last time you changed the CKP? Do you have any codes?

What brand IP do you have? Why do you have a $1,000 part on your bench?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 AM

How much fuel pressure are you getting? I've seen lift pumps pump fuel, making noise or not, but they were not pumping enough fuel. The Ip will run, it can draw fuel itself, but won't be long before it will die. MAKE SURE YOUR LIFT PUMP IS OK, AND CHECK YOUR FUEL FILTER.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by banks twinram
it has 100 hp injectors, but it wont start hot or cold without ether, its a vp44, someone told me it could just be the shutoff solonoid, the lift pump is working and has some pressure, but kinda makes a lot of noise? i have a brand new vp pump sittin here by my computer but im afraid if i put it on there it wont fix the problem.. any ideas? theres no fuel leaks or air bubbles and the heater plates working like it should. should i just put the ip on and hope it fixes the problem?
no shutoff solenoid on a vp 44, try changing the Lp
Old 07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's a good read about VP44's... they talk about a lot of faults and what happens... maybe it will help you out.

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html
Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 AM

nope it will not start even if u start it warm it up real good and then try to restart even after its been off for only 1 second. the lift pump is pumping fuel, i will check the actual pressure tomorrow, i think that it is pumping about 4-7 psi, but i will put a guage on it and check for sure. i have a injection pump sitting here because i thought it was the problem so i bought it and its chillen here. i can still take it back for full refund if i dont install it on the truck, but if i cant figure anything else wrong with it ill just put it on there and hope it fires up. i just bought the truck in present condition like a week ago and have barely drivin it.

will the truck still start if the lift pump is bad???

is there ever a situation with a faulty injection pump that it will run perfectly after u get it started but hard to start? cuz usually with vp44 injection pumps its live or die.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CHECK FUEL PRESSURE FIRST!!!!! Don't replace the vp before you replace the lp. You'll just kill the vp. I learned this lesson the hard way. My lift pump was toast, I drove my truck for a week or so, then ordered the fass system. Installed the fass, and that very evening, my vd sent the I'm dead code. I wish I woulda been a member here back then. At least now I have a new IP and lift pump.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Does your tach work?