24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 cummins question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 cummins question

Howdy, Im looking at getting a new tow rig pretty soon. My dad has a 7.3 PSD that I have been using and to be honest I was pretty sold on them. Well that was until today, I test drove a 99 and 01 dodge 2500 CTD and that changed my mind pretty quick. I gotta say, those trucks put down the power, even stock. I have a few questions about them though.
1. Should the turbo wheel spin freely? When I looked at the turbos on both of them, they were clean, but the wheels had a bit of resistance. The one on the PSD spins freely with no resistance. Both of the trucks ran great and would hit **** near 30psi.
2. How strong is the 5-speed manual for stock power?
3. What else should I be aware of or look for?

Thanks for putting up with all the newb questions and thanks in advance for any opinions/comments
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM

The turbo should spin free but my free and your drag might be the same. No roughness for sure.

5spd is fine but can lose the 5th gear nut. More likely if you If you tow hard and heavy. It usually doesn't damage anything else. Get a 6spd if you can.

Make sure the lift pump is pumping 12-14 psi. Then get at least a fuel pressure gage. If you can try to verify the service records and see if a Injector pump and Lift pump have been done recently. It's $1000 repair if you lose the IP after you leave the car lot. We all have to do it sooner of later so get used to it early and save for it.

I would get the codes checked before you lay down the cash. A p0216 and or p1688 is almost a given that the IP is nearly history. Not 100% but a good indicator. Get well versed on the IP on these truck. Do a search here and plan on spending the rest of the night reading about them.

Other than normal maintenance these are ok trucks. I love mine.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 PM

Thanks, I probably wont be doing much heavy towing... mostly just pulling a boat around and maybe a jeep every now and then. So I assume the 5-speed will hold up ok. The truck didnt show any code when we ran a diagnostics on it. What is the easiest way to test the psi on the lift pump? I plan on putting in a fuel pressure gauge as soon as I get it, no worries.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free spinning turbo blade = 5-6 revolutions when you spin it with your finger.... with no rubbing and no side to side play. Slight resistance is from Oil bath.
5-speeds are great. Just don't have ideal gear spread for heavy towing.

30 psi boost is higher than stock, which tops out at 20-22. Any chips (with boost fooler) added....usually velcroed on top of fuse/relay box on drivers side wheel well. If they have gauges...probably have a little power added.

Also check for a 53 Engine Block. Best to walk away from these unless a super buy!
http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Lots of very knowledgable help around BCS... if that's where you are looking. Get someone to check them out for you!

RJ
Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Hmm, that makes me wonder about the turbo. They would spin but you have to grab onto the wheel and put some force into it. Are these turbos rebuildable? If so, what is the estimated cost?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Chapter President

You can have that turbo rebuilt or you can get another used one for around $200 give or take.

Did the compressor housing have a tan?

On the 99's you can check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter housing. Just pull out one of the brass plug and install a gauge.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM

thanks for the info Mike. What do you mean by 'did the compressor housing have a tan?'

Also, if the LP is kept up with (meaning its replaced when it goes out or starts going out) will the IP last for a long time or is it prone to going out like the LP. From what ive read the IP just goes out when it has to pull the fuel itself and overheats.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Chapter President

The compressor housing has a clear coating over the cast aluminum, sometimes when the clear coating turns tan/brown it's a sign of heat often seen in trucks used to tow heavy.

It is true if the vp44 is required to pull fuel because of a failed lift pump it will shorten the life of the vp. That's why we (the dodge/cummins owners) advocate using a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure.

I personally feel using a pusher pump is a good way to go, as I was replacing lift pumps almost every eight months. Since installing the Holley as a pusher I've been able to keep a stock lift pump going on 2 years.

You can also purchase various lift pump kits that seem to work well with regards to keep fuel going to the vp, but I don't have any experience with them.