24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

99 5speed hard start when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 5speed hard start when warm.

I am posting this for a budie trying to diagnose a hard start. Its a 99 5 speed that wont start at all after warmed up. He has to leave it sit a little over an hour before it will start. They are thinking posobly the fuel shut off solonoid. It will start perfectly when cold but not after warming up. He said it will pop if ya give it a shot of starting fluid but still wont start. Any ideas??
Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel shut off solenoid on a 99 24V?? I dont think so.

Scan it for codes. Hard starts when warm is a classic sign of injection pump failure.

Does he have a fuel pressure guage?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasent sure on that either but I have never touched one either so I dont know. I presume the shutoff is built into the pump?? I wasent sure how much electronics where in the vp44. He claims to have a presure gauge so he is gona have to check that but I dont balive he has yet. The truck is always on the go(the owner delivers little debie snacks) and he probobly wont be able to work on it for a few more days.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
If there are NO CODES and fuel supply pressure is good, problem is probably a defective injection pump. A way to confirm this is to duplicate the hard start condition, then (with the engine not running) cool the injection pump with a large quantity of water (e.g. use a garden hose). If the engine start better after cooling the injection pump, the pump needs to be replaced.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
If the fuel pump is an aftermarket pump then most likely the fuel pressure is to high during engine cranking. Pulling the fuel pumps fuse to see if it starts is a way to test.

If the fuel pump is stock then its a sure sign of a failing VP computer. Pouring a bucket of cool water on the top of the VP and then seeing if it will start is a way to test.

The CPS can cause hard starting issues.

Weak batteries can cause hard starting.

As mentioned, a fuel pressure gauge or tester would be a big help.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
If the fuel pump is an aftermarket pump then most likely the fuel pressure is to high during engine cranking. Pulling the fuel pumps fuse to see if it starts is a way to test.

If the fuel pump is stock then its a sure sign of a failing VP computer. Pouring a bucket of cool water on the top of the VP and then seeing if it will start is a way to test.

The CPS can cause hard starting issues.

Weak batteries can cause hard starting.

As mentioned, a fuel pressure gauge or tester would be a big help.
This advice is worth its weight in gold.
Wait, it dies not weigh anything.
Still - as perfect as it gets. +1.