24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98 dollars later

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 dollars later

i changed out the fuel filter yesterday and my truck ran for 15 seconds. I did it the same way i have always done it put in a new filter and bump the staryer a couple of times.Well i guess i should have gave it more throttle when it started cause it died and would not restart. I was think the vp44 went out so i had put on the hook to dc.they primed it and say its ok.i asked the tech if he checked the pressure he no dc says not to just to check the "flow" on it and he did and it was ok,it passed the test .well now i am going to get a fuel pressure gauge and put it in.i was hoping for a new vp44 before it is out of warranty but not yet.i could have opened the inj lines myself and done that but my hopes were to high for a new pump. its only money.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 PM

I got the same answer on Monday when my LP was being changed out. They are 'sposed to pump out a minimum of 48 gal/hr, if below pump gets replaced along with a new filter (filter cost (~$22) comes from your pocket no labor charges for install) which was 'manditory' for warranty.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:05 PM

aux pump

I think i am going to put a holley back by the tank just in case.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 PM

I got a little different answer when I picked up my 01 after a new short block installation. I asked the dealer to check the LP and 44 pump [85000 mi] while they had the truck. I was later told the newly assembled motor wouldn.t start, so they determined the LP output was only 1psi and after replacing it [under warrentee] the motor started. they couldn't check the VP44 because they couldn't find the "tool" but it seemed ok so run it. I'm woundering if diminished fuel flow damage to VP44 can show up later or if damaged they go right now?

One cold week in january I changed fuel filters 3 times after motor went dead. I had trouble priming and restarting each time. I ASSUMED water in the fuel and zero degrees were to blame but found only a few beads of water in canister and no jellied fuel was evident. the temp. went up a little the following week and I added fuel additive to the tank. I was still carrying filter #4 under the seat when a month later #5 rod bearing spun in the motor!

I will be getting a fuel pres. gauge soon but still won't know the conditional effects of the 1psi delivery to the vp44 for who knows how long!

The new LP pres. is said to be 9 psi full throttle under load. Any idea if this pres. is ok ?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 PM

I just checked the invoice for work done changing short block and the lift pump and I wasn't charged for a filter [fuel] and none appears on the invoice as no charge warranty either. No duobt my mandatory for warranty slipped under the service mat! How do ya do these funny faces anyway?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:29 PM
DPG

According to Cummins, your FP should never fall below 8 psi.