24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

98 24valve help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 24valve help

hey all

new to the forum

my dad just picked up a 1998 ram 1 ton dually club cab, 24 valve 5 spd, with 150k miles apprx. i will be posting for him as he is um... not so good with the whole internet cheap.

Got it for pretty cheap, but it has a few pretty good problems. Hopefully someone can help.

Transmission does not have 5th gear at all... I found the info on here for how to repair it with some nut... how hard is this to do yourself?

the engine will not rev over 2800 ish rpm, in gear while moving during acceleration etc. or while in neutral with clutch depressed...

it is very hard to start, and after driving it, it gets harder and harder to start the longer you drive it... to the point where we dont want to destroy the starter trying to start it, and have to let it cool down. any ideas on this? im a car mechanic, but never on diesels, so this stuff is pretty new to me.

ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 AM

Lots of info here to repair the 5th gear...you will need a few special tools. Have you checked for engine codes and replaced fuel filter ? Sounds like you will need a new VP44 and a lift pump...also install a fuel pressure guage ASAP.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR

You can use the search function and find tons of info on your new truck.

Pressure guage first, ASAP.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:57 AM

Sounds like you've got the NV4500 gearbox. Question: how long are you going to keep the truck? if you're just going to fix it up and sell it, you do the El Cheapo Mopar "updated" fifth gear retaining nut replacement, which will fix it but not last. If you're going to keep it indefinately, find a good gear man and have him rebuild it. The popular option there is to replace the output shaft that fifth rides on with an aftermarket version with a completely redesigned retaining system for fifth gear. (What happens is the nut back off, and the gear slides out of alignment with the other gear.) There are other options, but much more expensive. With the tranny out, take a good look at the clutch, and you can find lots of recommendations here on the forum for what to put in, depending on how hard you intend to work it. Highly consider putting one of Quad 4X4's updated pilot shaft bearings in the flywheel; the stock needle bearing will not last the life of the clutch, should you replace it, and it's a good time to upgrade it. You just have to find a good machine shop to bore out the center of the flywheel and press in the new bearing. They have three available, again depending on how hard you're going to use it. And yes, fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge are an absolute must. I hope you did get it real cheap, because you're looking at more than a few dollars here. But, you've got a great truck that's fairly easy to work on. One more thing, go into the "edit signature" part of the user control panel here on the forum, and spell out exactly what your truck is, so that folks will know at a glace what you are working on...and welcome!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:01 AM

where to get a pressure gauge? fuel filter... roger that.

the plan is its gonna be a keeper...

think i got a good deal... paid a good chunk under 10k for it and its in excellent condition

gonna be using it to tow a enclosed trailer with my dads 71 duster, and a camper in the bed. it will get a few performance accessories (intake, programmer of some sort, exhaust) to help with towing all that weight.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 AM

You might try a search here on the forum for sources, but one that I remember reading about is Geno's Garage. You could do a search, or post another thread asking specifically the best place to get one...you'll get lots of answers!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mopar2You
hey all

new to the forum

my dad just picked up a 1998 ram 1 ton dually club cab, 24 valve 5 spd, with 150k miles apprx. i will be posting for him as he is um... not so good with the whole internet cheap.

Got it for pretty cheap, but it has a few pretty good problems. Hopefully someone can help.

Transmission does not have 5th gear at all... I found the info on here for how to repair it with some nut... how hard is this to do yourself?

the engine will not rev over 2800 ish rpm, in gear while moving during acceleration etc. or while in neutral with clutch depressed...

it is very hard to start, and after driving it, it gets harder and harder to start the longer you drive it... to the point where we dont want to destroy the starter trying to start it, and have to let it cool down. any ideas on this? im a car mechanic, but never on diesels, so this stuff is pretty new to me.

ANy help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

DO The Mopar Fix For fifth gear ,,, It's Cheap and it WILL last.. No matter what anyone else say's,,Just Follow the TSB. There is a special socket to torque the retaining nut to 300 FT LBS,Maybe the local Dodge dealer will let you borrow it or an AutoZone or other parts store might let you borrow it.,, Here you will find some people like to throw LOTS of money on things they (OR I) Don't need,,, I did the mopar fix 40000 miles ago still going strong,, The fix was around $50.00,, Or you can go with other suggestion's ....Like New 5 speed OR better yet Get a 6 Speed,, It's only 4 or 5 GRAND.. Pocket change,, At Least get a Fuel Press gauge $75.00 (VERY IMPORTANT), OR Go get a FULL set of gauges for 3 or 4 Hundred Bucks. Check for the dreaded #53 Block which will crack is it has not already. Use The Heck out of the SEARCH on this forum...There is ALLOT of GOOD info here,, and some Not so good,,,You will learn to pick,, Whatever fits your wallet,, Cause I'm one CHEAP SOB too....Good Luck and welcome to DTR.. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers,,

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Well, Truckman, the reason I suggested the aftermarket output shaft/gear fix is because I did the Mopar fix the first time, and it failed a couple of years later. So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and how willing you are to roll the dice on how long it lasts.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
as far as the hard starting when hot= classic symptoms of needing a new vp44. the tranny i have no clue sorry.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Talking Not U

Originally Posted by Yukon Dodge
Well, Truckman, the reason I suggested the aftermarket output shaft/gear fix is because I did the Mopar fix the first time, and it failed a couple of years later. So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, and how willing you are to roll the dice on how long it lasts.

Yukon Dodge That was not directed at you, That is what I think,(who Cares)
Not a shot at anybody on this site.All you can do here is listen to everyone's opinion Then form your own, and go that way and that's what I do here.
Don't get me wrong I have gotten allot of GOOD info here,It's an excellent site. As far as the 5th gear repair, I did it exactly like the TSB said and have had NO problem in over 40000 miles,I don't tow real heavy all the time ,,If I did I would have spent the money on the shaft and anything else I needed,or if I used my truck to make money with, BUT I have a stock truck,I might haul a half a cord of wood and my camper 10 times a year that's as heavy as I get. And for me the mopar fix worked great.

Mopar2You Just My opinion but Change that fuel filter A.S.A.P. And get a FP gauge and most likely a lift pump. Hopefully not a VP.

Hi My Name is Bob And I have been #53 free for 17 days now
Just say no To AntiFreeze
Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 PM

i'll get that fuel filter changed asap

found another thing... when its cold the glow plugs will work, but after an hour or so of running/driving, they will not turn on at all.

this truck will do quite a bit of towing, mostly towing of a car on a car dolley or a flatbed 2000 lb trailer... nothin serious, but it will also be towing an enclosed trailer with a slide in camper on it so that will give it quite the load I'd say... rather not have to fix it again in 5-10k miles, may just do the reinforced shaft and hope thats enough.

will be doing intake/tuner/exhaust to give it a lil more power cuz that trailer is pretty hard to tow (wicked wind resistance etc.).

yukon dodge.. does your truck have enough power in your opinion, and what do you have done to it?

how do I check for the #53 block?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:26 PM

just found a authorized modification under the hood... pcm # 56046356ad change authority #8001 date 6/1/1999

any idea what that is?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Talking Glow Plugs???

HUH?? Glow Plugs??

No No No...
Old 04-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Truckman
HUH?? Glow Plugs??

No No No...

explain please...?