24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6 speed problem help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed problem help

Sometimes when i stop i can't shift out of gear ex: i am in my yard and i step on clutch and go to **** from 2 nd gear to back in and its tuck in gear.

Also sometimes if i am at a light i shift it neutral but when the light turns green i can't put it back in 2 nd gear to get going. To solve these problems quick i shut the truck off and restart it and it correct itself.

What could be caussing that ?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way to me. You have hard shifting too? especially in the lower gears?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:00 AM

No its shifting good on the road when i drive the truck and this problem is intermitent too!!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM
BBA

I also have this problem in a way like in the morning time i will go crank the truck and come back when im ready to leave and it can be a ***** to get in 2nd sometimes i just skip second and start out in 1st. I would like to know the reason why it does this also?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 PM

The pilot bearing is damaged, binding the input shaft - change it quickly or it will damage the input shaft nose

Pull the trans, remove the clutch plate to replace the bearing - the bellhousing is part of the transmission so it all comes out together

In any case, each of you will have to pull the transmission and remove the clutch to determine the actual failure and initiate repairs
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM

It has been my experience that all vehicles with a standard shift will do this on occasion. I let my clutch out in nuetral and reattempt. That usually gets it back in gear by moving the synchros/gears around. Or try putting it in another gear first, then while the clutch is still ingaged, put it in second if that is where you would like to start out. My truck runs perfect, yet it will occasionally do this at a light when I am in a hurry. So into first it goes.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 PM

Mine does a very similar thing also. When it's warm and I'm doing a lot of back and forth manuvering while backing my trailer into somewhere I shouldn't be, the trans will tend to "hang" in either reverse or 1st gear.

It can flat out be a pain in the rear to get it to go in to either gear. It ends up just having to release the pedal a little and it pops in to gear.

Truck has done this since day one with both the factory clutch as well as the SouthBend. And the pilot bearing has been replaced twice with each clutch because we figured that it was the culprit. So far it hasn't been the problem.

I know of some trucks that don't do it at all and others that do it occasionally.

Just another quirk I guess.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 AM

The difficult 1st\rev from neutral is due to the layout of the 6spd gear train, where 6th gear is at the input shaft - the mass of the 'reversed' gear-train does not easily respond to shifting while vehicle is stopped.

As mentioned, engage the clutch in neutral to get the geartrain moving for easier low-range shifts at stop.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 AM

This isn't something specific to this truck either, lots of manual transmissions run into this problem. Many of my previous vehicles that were manual would need this sometimes, same problem same solution, just put it in nuetral, let the clutch out, put it back in and the problem is solved. I always attributed it to synchros but it could be something else.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM

my old ford you had to put it in gear and let the clutch out about a quarter of the way and it would fall in.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by JD311
let the clutch out about a quarter of the way and it would fall in.

This is same case in my 6 speed, and along with every "non syncro"
big truck transmission I drive.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 AM

its still doing it . will have to bring to shop this week very annoying
Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
My truck does that all the time. It's annoying but just a quirk with the nv5600

Quick Reply: 6 speed problem help