24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6 Speed or 5 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Speed or 5 Speed

I'm planning on buying my first Diesel soon, 1999-2002 2500 4x4 lwb. But I cant decide on the 5 speed or 6 speed. I dont tow anything, It would only be used to drive back and forth to work, and some drag racing. I've heard that the 5 speed is much easier to shift than the 6 speed. Is the 5 speed capable of handling the same amount of power as the 6 speed? Cause I plan on having maybe stage 4 or 5 injectors from Bully Dog and and Edge Comp, to start out with. Which one is for me? Thanks!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

If you have the option just say after me 6 speed agan 6 speed
Old 02-03-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5spd can handle up to 1500lbs of torque, the 6spd has a better clutch setup.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM

If you're not going to pull, and plan on racing, go with the 5. I've got a 5 and 6 speed, and the 5 definately shifts easier, and there's one less gear to go through. The initial and final drive ratios of both are about the same, the 6 just splits some middle gears up. The 6 speed is irritateing driving in town if you're not pulling anything. Seems like i'm always shifting. It's great for pulling heavy, but a pain when empty. If you put a comp and and stage 4 injectors on, you'll be doing clutch work on either trans.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:59 PM

Ive got a 6 speed - I have to say there is WAY too much shifting and it does get tiresome, especially if you live in the city or travel to areas with heavy traffic. Dont get me wrong, its a very good transmission - I just find that isnt fun to drive. Although, it would be the best option for heavy towing.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 PM

Maybe I'm all wet, but the six speed or 5 speed are both going to be slower at the dragstrip than an auto. Granted you'll have to beef up the auto...but my six speed is great for pulling, but when empty, it sucks....give me the auto any day of the week if you are never going to pull....

just my nickels worth
Old 02-04-2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by rich
The 5spd can handle up to 1500lbs of torque, the 6spd has a better clutch setup.
i would argue that, i sheared off my input shaft and i only dyno 917 at the rear wheels. and i would not buy a 6 speed unless it was a 01 or 02 truck to get the better input shaft.
but i would suggest a auto also, it will smoke a 6 speed with less hp in a drag race.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:29 PM

I was planning on ordering a 6 spd until I drove it. It's a PITA around town. Even starting of in 2nd or 3rd, still to much shifting. I then went and drove the automatic right after, and it's much smoother. Also, according to the reviews, the CTD 600 with auto is pulling around 0-60 in 8 sec. Faster than the Hemi.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:52 PM

There are things that you can do to the 5 speed, like different clutch and input shaft, that will make it very hard to break. But like they said, if you are not going to be hauling, get the auto and get a real tranny but in it. They say these upgraded trannies are pretty much bullet proof. Either way have fun
Old 02-09-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason to get a 6sp is if youre towing.

Its alot of shifting, and a built-in disadvantage in a drag race. I get beat off the line by everything, unless Im really going for it, then it looks stupid when youre all out, and the other guy is playing with you.

After 3rd or 4th you can start to use the power, but by the time you get pulling, its time to shift. If you start in 3rd, youre looking at breaking an input shaft sooner or later.

I would get the 5sp personally. There are ways of hardening it & the clutch, so youre strong like said above.

If only drag racing & using it for transportation, Id get an auto, and build it up. Theyre pretty tough when hardened.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:23 PM

As mentioned above, there is alot of shifting w/ the 6 spd. I have one and love it. It reminds me of the trucks I drive at work (12 spd Peterbuilts). If you dont mind the shifting, then it makes you feel like your in a big rig. But to each is his own.

Hunter
Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 PM

6 get the 6 understand 6 not five get 6 the 5 has huge gaps between the gears, way to much rpm drop. You can skip gears with the six, I am always looking for more gears with the 5 get a 6. 1st gear in the 5 is a "granny" gear and youll never use it, unless your towing a heavy load. So now your reduced down a less than effective 4sp. If you never plan on towing why not the automatic?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM

Like a few said above, if you plan on going to the track and do a lot of city driving, get an auto. Yeah, you will have to spend a few thousand on the auto when you get a big injectors and a fueling box, but it will benefit you more in the long run. Don't let towing keep you from getting an auto, those trannys pull just as good when you get it built (I've heard). Actually, I am very pleased with the way my bone stock tranny and 24v tow my race truck.

If I (me myself personally) were to have a manual tranny, it would be a 5 spd. most definetely. I have driven both a 5 and 6 spd. with bone stock engines, and 5 is the way to go. I can also see if injectors, fueling box, or both were added into the scenerio the 5 spd would work even better because of the bigger rpm drop-off between gears and all that torque to pull the rpms quickly up. In my mind a 6 spd. is a screwed up tranny, when in a hurry, I tend to fish for the gear I want, also tends to fall in a little more difficult then the 5 spd. (but didn't bother me unless I wanted to tip through the gears).

Just whatever you do, from figuring your driving style, make sure you get the 3.54 gears. I drove a truck with 4.10's and a 5 spd. once and it I started off in 3rd gear like you would start off in 2nd with 3.54's. You only want the 4.10's unless your towing like a kajillion billion pounds.

Later,
Justin

P.S. I don't know if it is 100% true or not, but I have heard that an auto will be about .5 - .6 of a second quicker then a manual in the 1/4 mile.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:22 AM

i have a 6 spd in mine and love it. when racing it is a little slower, but skip a gear or two and its all good. i drive in the city and it doesnt bother me to shift through that many gears, but i love shifting.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed or 5 Speed