24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

4W Disc brake Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
4W Disc brake Guru's

Ok guys, I have a question regarding my 4 wheel disc brakes emergency/parking brake operation.

When I did a complete brake job on my rears I reinstalled the star wheel adjusters for the parking brakes with the wheels to the rear. The factory manual does not show their orientation or explain it very clearly.

The problem is that after about two months, my e-brake no longer will hold my truck on a slight incline. Two ratchets of the star wheels brings it back into adjustment. From the initial dis-assembly I noticed there is no self adjuster tab, like on other set ups I have worked on.

Are my starwheel adjusters facing the wrong way and shortening up during driving? I do not see how this is possible as the e-brakes do not activate when driving or backing up.

What gives...?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
when you re adjust them are you turning the star wheel up or down the wheel should be turning CCw on drivers side and cw on pass (looking from back of truck)also do you hear the star wheel clicking when you turn it that clicking sound is the spring keeping it in place.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM

I am turning the driver's side upwards (the threaded shaft is forward on both) and the passenger side down.

There is no clicking. I do not remember if the spring is touching. I may have that in wrong.....
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
No, these don't have any type of self adjusting mechanism on them, they need to be manually adjusted which isn't much fun for access- especially on one side. I don't think it matters a whole lot which way the starwheel faces (for function) as long as it is accessible through the slot, and the spring coils should touch it to restrict it from turning on its own.

I have found these rear disc emergency brakes to have pretty poor holding power at the best of times. Even properly adjusted, they don't seem able to hold a heavy truck on a bit of a slope, especially with a trailer. Not sure of any way to improve that, except to rough up the surface of the drum whenever it's off.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys.

I also put a generous amount of anti-sieze on the threads when I first got the truck way back when, I wondered if this was making them too 'free' .

I figured since nothing engages during normal driving there would be no self adjustment feature and nothing is mentioned that I recall in the FSM.

Interestingly when I first start my truck on the colder mornings, when I depress the clutch she will creep forward about 6 inches before the e-brake holds. The pedal is floored. I wouldn't think the colder temps would affect the sizing and clearances that much, but it could I guess....
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is no self adjusters but on my 01 you can feel the spring or something going over the star wheel keeping it from moving.I just adjusted mine the other day (wife forgets to release them) and as far as holding power I have a 20k gooseneck and my ebrake hold fine
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM

Yeah, mine holds fine when it is adjusted...it just seems to wander out of adjustment.

And , no, they are not dragging, I have had them apart and the shoes are like new.