24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE not shifting out of first.................

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE not shifting out of first.................

I've got a friend with a '99 his 47RE wil not shift out of 1st gear without lifting off the peddle, once you lift out it seems to shift through the gears just fine.

A year ago he had a similar problem and it was a speed sensor in the trans., he threw a new one in it today and it is still down the same thing.

The trans., as far as the paper work says, was built by BD. It has one of there valve bodies in it.

We serviced it and adjusted the bands after the speed senor was changed and it still didn't make a change.

Any thoughts or idea would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 PM

TPS working correct and adjusted correctly?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I would drop the pan and check the kickdown band servo and make sure everything is in it's proper place. I run into a few of these with that exact issue and find the kickdown band strut laying on top of the valve body due to it being too loose. I know you say you "serviced" the trans, but the kickdown band is adjusted externally so I'm just curious if you noted if everything was in place.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you want to purchase transkleen pour bottle in ,drive 10 miles if no help your looking at overhaul due to seals bad internal sorry but thats it
Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Personally I would drop the pan and check the kickdown band servo and make sure everything is in it's proper place. I run into a few of these with that exact issue and find the kickdown band strut laying on top of the valve body due to it being too loose. I know you say you "serviced" the trans, but the kickdown band is adjusted externally so I'm just curious if you noted if everything was in place.
I did one awhile back and found the spring and arm unhooked (external) its a wonder it did not fall from the tranny and lost on the road, I adjusted the bands, hooked the kickdown back up, and tranny shifted like a dream, also I had replaced the gov pressor sensor and actuator, as truck would not shift outta second, after removing the sensor (one of them has a small screen on it and I noticed it appeared plugged, I tried brakeclean on it it was better, but I did not want to do the job twice so just replaced it, there was no magnet in the tranny pan, so on re-install I found one from an old speaker. I'm thinking on my next band adjustment on MY truck I'll pull and clean that screen on the sensor
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is doing the same thing after altenater quit, installed new altenater and now shifting incorrectly.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Hmm isn't that funny, mine just started doing this this morning on the way home from a friends place Pulled out of the driveway, shifted into second, then right back down to 1st and stayed there until i let off the throttle. Tranny didn't even feel right driving away at 5 km/h...so I guess I will have to get it looked at. Maybe its time to save up for a new TQ and Valve body to put on as well

Oh and is it still alright to drive it until i get it fixed?...not sure when that will be.