24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47re Governor Pressure Low

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
47re Governor Pressure Low

Fresh rebuild on my 47re with new pump only thing i reused was the converter

It is sluggish of the line blows more black smoke than it should i can see with the scan tool that is not in limp mode it is in fact starting in first shifts all gears fine.

Only thing i can see wrong is my governor pressure cruising at 100kph (60mph) my desired governor pressure is 126 psi and my actual is only about 96 psi

Also i have my line pressure cranked and its still only 150 psi on my manual gauge reading on the accumulator test port also put the gauge on the governor port and it reads the same as the sensor

I replaced the governor pressure solenoid with a Borg Warner unit and a new sensor as well as the tcc and od solenoids were all replaced after the first test drive seeing low governor pressure.

Any one have any ideas??
I'm stumped could the converter be causing my low pressures I'm seeing? another thing is trans went Sept 2015 and I'm just getting it back in now could the computer need to relearn my driving habits?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http:// https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.trucktransdiag.com/downloads/technical-data-for-dodge-transmissions.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjt7vaGtJ7OAhVipIMKHfs dBqAQFgh1MBI&usg=AFQjCNFOanJ9HQ3au-Z5JOjILbaOY7tz3w
This may help. You didn't mention if you took the valve body apart. When you check the pressure at the accumulator shift back and forth from N to D several times and try both steady throttle changes and blip it a few times the pressure should respond with throttle it should not change erratically or drift around. The governor should start at close to 0 and increase about 1 psi per MPH. Up to about 45 Mph. The vavle body can get gunked up from burned clutches bands and stuff hiding in the torque converter.

Last edited by Junkdude; 07-31-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Link error
Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 PM

i did pull some of the valve body apart but not all of it what i did pull part looked clean and no junk in it. i will have to try the pressure checks that you told me also the converter wasnt flushed it prob should have been the valve body could maybe have picked up some junk on the first test drive
Old 08-04-2016, 08:50 PM

ok so i had time to do the test you told me goin from N to D a dozen times pressure at the accumulator starts at 90psi and by the last on it was 80psi and pressure are steady with any throttle changes as the governor pressure i have 0psi till about 20mph just after shifting into second gear also notice that it get to about 60 psi steady from 20mph to 40mph then jumps right to 90 psi at about 45mph and doesn't change up to 70mph (as fast as i took it)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The accumulator should be about 55 psi NOT 90 psi when you put it in gear. It should increase when you put your foot on the throttle. Hold the brake firmly with the truck in D and push the throttle down. If you push half way down the pressure should increase to about 75 Psi. Wide open Throttle = 90 psi. don't do this very long or something will break. Check the throttle valve cable and make sure you put the lever back on the shaft correctly at the transmission it should move freely. The lever has a "D" shaped hole where it goes on the shaft. You may have to remove the pan and inspect the operation of the lever and shaft. It has a low limit adjustment bolt on the valve body. Did you adjust or change anything? Note that the plunger in the valve body is extended by hydraulic pressure and not just a spring.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:16 AM

i may have forgot to mention it has full billet shafts triple disc converter ats shift kit red alto clutches as many as i could stuff in each spot along with some other billet goodies
Old 08-07-2016, 03:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Just for grins an giggles: Does your speedometer work correctly or is it something like showing zero until about 15mph and then jumping up ?

If so it could be the VSS in the rear axle.

Just my 2c
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 PM

speedo works like it should