24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

3Rd attemp! Anyone have any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3Rd attemp! Anyone have any ideas?

Posted two messages earlier and had 0 replies. My truck quit <br>going down the road friday. Seems to be getting fuel but won't start. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 AM

Re:3Rd attemp! Anyone have any ideas?

WOW lets see, could it be bad fuel or water, how about clogged fuel filter,How do you know your getting fuel, did you check with a press guage ? Could be injector pump, lift pump, crank sensor, the lists goes on. ???
Old 02-16-2003, 09:15 AM

Figured it was probably gelled since the temp was -20F.<br>The girlfriend was driving it home from work. She said she<br>let it warm up for a couple minutes before driving off.<br><br>I have change the fuel filter and added conditioner to the<br>filter housing and tank. Checked for fuel flow at the bleed<br>valves. The truck is setting out in the wind, so I brought a generator and plugged the block heater in for about 5 hours. Still no luck. <br><br>The truck has about 51,000 miles on it. I do not have gauges <br>on it yet. Anything I should look for?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:41 AM

I really don't have any experence with lines gelling as I have allways used a fuel conditioner in mine. But if its most likely the line between the tank and lift pump, the filter housing has a heater in it. I would strongly reccomend a test press guage for checking fuel pressurer, as the 01 model has had the most failure rate of all. ???<br> Maybe someone that lives where its real cold can help you.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:56 AM

If it was -20.. i would guess fuel gelling as the problem..<br><br>You can get an 'emergency degeller/dethawer' that you pour in the tank and it will thaw the fuel right out.. You will also have to get some in the fuel filter as well.. Never used it personally, but would be something to try..<br><br>Not sure of brand name.. but Tractor Supply has it in their catalog..
Old 02-16-2003, 10:43 AM

:-[ Woops! Guess I forgot to mention that I had fuel at <br>the bleed valves. The fuel in the filter canister looked fine too.<br>I also cracked a line after the injector pump and had fuel flow<br>when cranking the engine. Of course I have no idea what kind of pressure I am getting.<br><br>All this leads me to believe it may be the injector pump, Return line (I read something about that in another article).<br><br>Anyone have any insight or quick ways to check this?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:55 AM

The little woman clains she let it warm up for a couple minutes<br>before driving off. Then only got about 1/4 mile when it started bucking. She tried feathering the gas and changing gears to keep it going. But it died and won't start.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:57 AM

It also had over 3/4 tank of fuel. :'(
Old 02-16-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your gettin exhaust smoke here are some ideas lots of fault codes; air intake restriction; fuel pump overflow vale is malfunctioning; fuel heater is not working; ess or curcuit is not working;lift pump; fuel inlet resrtriction; injection pump died; no smoke = keyswitch lift pump; injector pump voltage supply circuit malfunctioning;fuses;lots of problems with the ECM The book list lots of different things need more info
Old 02-16-2003, 02:09 PM

From the way that it stopped, it sure sounds like gelling. I have only had it happen two or three times, but sometimes it can be a bear to get it thawed. The last time, I had to put the truck in somewhere warm to thaw it.<br><br>Everytime my truck has gelled, it followed a trip home from the sunny south where I got non-winter fuel.<br><br>Are your heaters working?<br><br>I still think that it is a gelling problem. If it were a 12v, i would suggest bleeding at the injectors. I don't know about the 24v.<br><br>Get it warm. Good luck.<br>george
Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 PM

I don't know alot but when I lost my injection pump it just quit. I had fuel in the filter,but nothing when you cracked an injector. <br> <br> Scooter
Old 02-16-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MoParr,<br>An easy check is to watch your tachometer while cranking the engine, it should rise and indicate cranking rpm. If it doesn't you have an electrical problem, crank/cam sensor etc., depending on engine model. If it indicates rpm while cranking, DISCONNECT your grid heaters!!! FIRST!!!, then shoot starting fluid in the disconnected air filter hose while a friend cranks the engine, go easy on the ether and the engine should start and run on the starting fluild. This will some times reprime a injector pump that is considered dead. At that point if the engine runs on the fluid, loosen #1 injector line and see if you have diesel fuel squirting while the engine cranks/runs on ether. Could be a half dozen fuel problems, you have to methodically check them out or use the process of elimination. HTH's, Larry<br>
Old 02-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

I'd try and get it somewhere warm first and letting it sit for a while and warm up. If that doesn't work, then just start going through the list of things on here. I've never had experience with gelling since the coldest it get's hear in Texas is like 20 degree ABOVE 0.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:19 AM

Any codes?<br>