24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2nd gen discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convert the vp to P-7100 pump and you will fix all your fuel problems and never have to worry about it ever again basicly....plus with ownin a 1st gen you prob already know how to use the p7100 pump also...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:13 PM

I bought my 01 HO new and now have over 131K on it. Had no idea about the LP/IP problems til last year. No problems really other than wear and tear. Thanks to Jippy lube, had to have my oil pan replaced and at 129K, water pump gave out. Had new LP around 115K, getting low pressure again. Might put a FASS this time around. Would like to change to K&N air assembly too. Muffler is hanging in son-in-law's barn. They couldn't get the FP gauge to work so they replace them with the Edge Juice with Attitude on and so far, I really like it!!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up

Another thumbs up here for the 2nd gens. I have had '02 since november of last year, and 12,000 miles later, still no problems. My uncle had 3 2nd gens, all over 100k miles with no problems, just routine maintence. He plows with his trucks and has large road sanders, so the trucks get worked, without ever so much as a wimper from them. As Bigblue said, its not until you start hodrodding them out, and you reach the limits of the stock components, that you start to have problems. I am shooting for 300k miles with my truck without any major work, I am going to an upgraded valvebody in the tranny as soon as my pockets get enough spare change in them. I put a set of gauges (fuel pressure, pyro, and tranny temp) for relatively inexpensive assurance everything is ok, and with the gauges, I can see when something is going wrong BEFORE it causes major problems.

Good luck with your new truck and with this great site, any problems that do come up, can be quickly remedied.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM

Probably the best gesture I can offer is the fact that I'd do it all over again... (I'd purchase another 2nd gen)

The only problem I really have with the truck are the brake calipers in the front... they require frequent attention to get any kind of life out of the brakes, and it seems that the speed sensors have been relocated in the 3rd gen...

crobtex makes an excellent point. Easy to do. Just bring the mechanical gauge with a length of fuel hose and some blue tape. Attach the hose to the gauge and the other end to the test port on the IP. Tape the gauge to the windshield and go for a ride. PSI should remain @ or above 5 psi, and should rebuild pressure relatively quick.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the positive input. May I respond with "I will be the proud owner of a 2nd gen 2002 QCSB 4x4 auto on monday

I want to only make mild upgrades. My goal is 4" exhaust, good air filter system, FASS and upgraded track bar. Hopefully this will be a long term dependable set up. Maybe a HD TC in time.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SSweeney
Thanks for the positive input. May I respond with "I will be the proud owner of a 2nd gen 2002 QCSB 4x4 auto on monday

I want to only make mild upgrades. My goal is 4" exhaust, good air filter system, FASS and upgraded track bar. Hopefully this will be a long term dependable set up. Maybe a HD TC in time.
you may day that now but what is going to happen is a different story.. i just wanted mild upgrades to but look now i have a full twin charger blown freak of nature tha eats trannys for breakfest... oh snap and the stick that says stang killa... haha
Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

Just go ahead and admit it that you want a 600hp fire breathing monster. I came to that conclusion a long time ago and it's saved me a lot of frustration with myself for spending every penny I own on my truck.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like mine no real problems to say my 97 needs a drag link and my 01 HO had 2 bad ball joints the 2 vp 24Vs have 100k+ mostly trouble free miles
Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM

pump wire tapped?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 PM

the truck I am buying does not have a fuel pressure gauge. The seller said he would check the condition of pump. What is the simpliest way for him to get it checked. I realize a guage to test FP pressure. However, what is the easiest way to check codes? Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 PM

the truck I am buying does not have a fuel pressure gauge. The seller said he would check the condition of pump. What is the simpliest way for him to get it checked. I realize a guage to test FP pressure. However, what is the easiest way to check codes? Thanks
If u are asking what I think you are asking (how to check the codes), then the 2nd Gen trucks have a neat little way of uncovering codes. Turn the key to the run (dont start it) three (3) times. When the key is turned to run the 3rd time, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Engine Control Module (ECM) will work with one another to check for codes. Thats how I found my infamous P0216 (injection pump failure) code.

Hope this is what u were looking for.