24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2nd gen discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen discouraged

I have a 1st gen with 225 miles now. The only major repair was a rebuild on tranny at 188000miles and a better steering set up. I am purchasing a 02 sec gen and been reading lots of posts. These things seem to be riddled with problems. From track bars to FPs to VPs to ball joints to trannie issues to steering plagues. Then when you get say a fass there is no garantee on the VP. Please help me to believe these are a good representation of a cummins work truck. Other than creature comforts seems these are not built as well. Hope I am wrong and am ready to be convinced I am making a good investment. Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All in all I'm happy with mine.

VP44 right after I bought it (4,000 miles), but nothing else really major.
Ok, the front driveshaft, but I brought that on myself.

phox
Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Agreed. All of my issues have been self induced. Ball joints and track bar were from lift and big tires. Fuel pump was dodge but I replaced it aftermarket and so far so good. Got 103,350 on the original VP and it's had it's wire tapped for about 60k of that and I'm abusive to it. My tranny is still holding with over 400hp through it with nothing more than a valvebody in it.

You also gotta remember that a forum is a place where people come to ask questions about their problems and that it only represents a very, very, very, almost minute amount of cummins owners. I say buy your 2nd gen and don't worry about it. If left stock or very slightly modified it'll give you years of trouble free service.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM

I love mine!!

As Big Blue said, the trucks you read about on the boards are a small amount of the trucks out there being beaten to death everyday.

You will always hear about the problems but hardly ever hear the praise. I've had the usual problems with mine but big deal, the truck will still outlast any of the competitions trucks if you take care of it. I just rolled over my 100,000 mile mark and the truck just keeps running stronger and stronger everyday......I think it's finally breaking in!!!!

Jeff
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM

I was the same way when I first came to this site which was right after I bought my truck. Dont worry about it. All vehicles have there own set of problems and anything could happen but you just have to hope for the best and go on. My only piece of advice is get a fuel pressure guage.Other than that have fun with it.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM

thanks I needed that. I am investing around 20gs for this unit. I hope to get 300k without major engine work. Maybe a tranny rebuild. Do many have over 200k with the original VP-44? thanks again
Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM

had 277k onmy last 98.5 and we have 156k on the wifes ride and they are orignal vp
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Chapter President

Stick a fuel pressure gage on it before you buy. If it has good fp and it is the origional, chances are the VP is OK for now. If it don't have good fp, I be asking them to knock a couple of grand.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Bought my '01 last January and couldn't be happier with it after over 12,000 miles. I went through the same process and wondered if I had made a mistake reading the posts here. Finally decided that the good features of my truck outweigh the weaknesses and it will be easier to just upgrade the fuel pump than find another truck as good as this one.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:24 AM

210k on my '99 that I bought new in '98. Original VP and LP ( believe it or not). Pump wire tapped for 130k.

Don't know about the steering woes, there is not a straight flat road anywhere near my house to find out if it wanders.

I did have a cracked 53 so I guess I've been blessed with a good fuel system and steering.

Don't be afraid of what you read here, just remember, opinions and armpits, everyone has them, some peoples stink.

...............Jim
Old 07-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Chapter President

I bought mine with 95K on it and since have had to do the following:
3-pc. exhaust manifold, OEM was severely cracked
New transmission (ouch)
New stereo system (yes it HAD to be replaced, factory was horrible)
One Lower balljoint
New rotors
Tabbed the KDP
Rebuilt the alternator

....everything else I've done was for.....fun?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:44 AM

All trucks and cars are Riddled with its own set of problems even your first generation. I love mine even with all the shorts. Your advantage is you know what they are and how to fix them. The 2nd gen. Dodge is the finest Looker out there. If you dont believe it look around at the Fords and Chevys who bent over backwards to build a knockoff of the design. High hood low fenders man....A thing of beauty.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2nd gen has been pretty good overall thus far. First repair was a failed backup-switch on the trans (turns on the backup lights) and was covered by warranty at 20K miles.

At 40K miles, I lost a VP, though it MAY have been owner-induced to a certain extent with my fuel additive experimentation and possible overdosing (like, say, the 2qts od Delo I once dumped in).

My sunglass holder has a broken clip. Cheap plastic.

I ruined my track bar taking apart the front end to do a levelling kit. New DT Bar has been good.

My driver's door has a broken switch that keeps the interior lights from coming on when it's opened. I broke it with a block of wood wedged in to keep the door open.

Also, lately my high beams are flaky. Sometime, when I try to turn on the brights, I lose all my lighting up front. Could this be the relay instead of the control stalk? Methink the stalk would be a hassle to fix (steering wheel, airbag, etc).

That's the sum total of my truck's maladies in 4 years and 53K miles. All but the tranny switch and headlight relay are my fault, at least mostly my fault. Not too bad for a "domestic" vehicle.

Justin
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took delivery of my truck on 8/15/01 and have had the following problems with it:

1 each Switch, Back-up Light - replaced in the driveway in 5 minutes.

That's it. Nothing else. It's never been back to the dealer. I'm still on my original lift pump (16+ PSIG) and VP44.

Rusty
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i replaced the starter contacts at 165,000 on mine ..... the only oem wear item other than the 3 lift pumps,tires, clutches ( 3 ) and rebuilding the trans

Quick Reply: 2nd gen discouraged