24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

24v P-Pump conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just can't see what would drive the cost up to those levels. now i do all my own work and don't farm any of it out. i see good 215 pumps sell for 500 or less all the time. the lines aren't that killer expensive. how hard can it be to hook up the fuel cut off to switched power? and as far as injector pop off differances, could you just dial in the timeing to match the injectors you have? it seems like a bunch of he say, she says, with little facts to back them up.
who here has done it themselfs?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:26 PM

you are partly correct
but
I was told that the gears in the front of the motor had to be changed out (basically take front of p/u off to get at it)
and the head needed to be planed (dont know why) , plus lift pump issue, plus lines had to be custom made, plus injectors, pump itself,cam ,brackets, computer issues.......etc

by the time you buy all this stuff and pay someone to put it all together it will add up to a large amount of money

if you can do it all yourself, more power to yah, you will save a lot of money

all my info came from Al @ peirs , who is no longer working there from what I understand
but
I would think anyone at peirs would know what they are talking about
Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 PM

You have to replace the front cover with a 12v and use the 12v gear. The head does not need to be planed, but the front left corner must be cut off to get a wrench on the right upper nut of the P7100. Yes the whole front must come off the truck.

A strong electric pump will supply enough fuel, but does that really fix anything? The electric lift pump is the main problem with the vp-44.

The ecm will need a new mount, custom fuel lines, stock 24v injectors will work. You will need the P brackets and bellcrank assemblys.

A drill bit will take care of the check engine light.

The cut off solenoid is easy to do, and can be done in more way than one.

Timing is tricky, you can set it up for a hot rod, or a workhorse, but not both.

I am sure I forgot something.

No he said she said, just the facts.