24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

24v P-Pump conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 24v+12v injection pump

In the last 9 months Ive went through 3 VP44 pumps on my 99. I'm getting ready to put a 12v p-pump on it this time, any body out there with soom tips or that have done it? Any info would be helpful. I've already got the front cover& houseing,p7100 pump gear, 12v air intake, 913 model 12v pump,Fass fuel system on the way and custom injectors.Injection lines are comming from Van H. Any idea on injector size with the 12v pump on the 24v? Oh yeh, I,ve also had the delivery valves cut (max size) and a #0 cam plate.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:03 PM

Hey Crazy,
I believe my VP44 is going on my truck since the engine constantly goes to idle when driving and I have to shift into neutral and let up on the throttle to make it go back to normal for a period of time. How did your act when the pumps failed? Are you positive it was the pumps and not something else? Are all the replacement pumps that you installed remanufactured? Have you taken any of them apart to see what failed?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:12 PM

The first pump electronicaly failed at 106k and the second and third was my own stupidity. I was running a 200-240 hp edge box with stock injectors. 240hp box+stock injectors=shattered Vp44 at 3600 rpms.....Not good! Pulled alot of little pieces out of those 2 pumps, and there is still stuff rattleing around in them! 1 reman and 2 factory ones.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
DPG

jdeereboy:

Are you throwing any codes? Do you think that your APPS could be acting up?
Just thinking out loud here.

DeWain
Old 01-08-2004, 08:49 PM

The cutting out ging down the road on my truck was the apps. replaced it and it was fine . When the pump quit it threw the 0216 code (pump Failure). Does anyone else know any thing about the 12v pump conversion on the 24v that could help me through this mess???
Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CrazyCumminsKid
Does anyone else know any thing about the 12v pump conversion on the 24v that could help me through this mess???
I would start out very mild on the injector with the p-pump. Start with 275's and then possibly dd1's or 2's for lots of fuel.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:40 PM

Thats that others said too. Around maybe 100+ injectors and have the pop off presure reset alittle different. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 PM

Unless you are looking for a max HP application you are better off staying with the VP-44. The elctronic fueling is heads and tails above the mechanical p-pump for the under 700 HP crowd. Now once you go above 700 I feel as though the winner is the p-pump hands down!

I would look into why the VP-44 pumps are failing on your truck...... Most are very reliable, actually I would say well above 99% of the trucks produced with the vp-44 are still running the factory original with no problems.

Doug
Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 PM

Not to change the subject but what is the apps. and what does it do! My truck cuts out randomly down the road. Did the guy in California, Missuori ever get his p-pump change working right, I know he was very unhappy with it last time I heard?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jetpilot
Unless you are looking for a max HP application you are better off staying with the VP-44. The elctronic fueling is heads and tails above the mechanical p-pump for the under 700 HP crowd. Now once you go above 700 I feel as though the winner is the p-pump hands down!

I would look into why the VP-44 pumps are failing on your truck...... Most are very reliable, actually I would say well above 99% of the trucks produced with the vp-44 are still running the factory original with no problems.

Doug
While that may be true by numbers, I do not believe that on any truck with mileage or that does work. Everyone I know that has a VP pump and works the truck has had to change it out at least once. And most that I know would not ever modify the truck. Mine lasted longer than most with over 200,000 miles on it. It is a poor design that finally prompted Dalmer to go to a different system.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned

Your attn please,
look at your bracket on the back of the pump ...if it is made out of little steel welded parts it is broke I guarntee it (you get pump wobble and failure).
Replace that part with updated part (cast steel and hvy duty) and your problems will be over.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:28 AM

Haulin in Dixie,
Cummins didnt change from VP44 to CP3 for reliability issues.

The Engine had to change to Common Rail for emissions reasons.
Same reason Cummins changed to VP44, emissions.

The VP44 is a great design, and is a good pump.
To those that take care of them, and feed pressurized clean fuel.

I have had my wire pierced for over 40k miles with absolutely no problems.

--Justin
Old 01-12-2004, 06:01 AM

If the pumps were so reliable then why has Bocsh redesinged the pumps and updated the pumps over and over agian? Just wondering? Maybe itd just the guys around in OHIO haveing P pump trouble. There is at least 1 truck in at the dealer every day for the vp, apps, or lift pump failures.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 PM

There's an internal Bosch engineering memorandum somewhere on the web -- I'll try to find it. It's very informative -- briefly what it says is that the VP44 was designed for European diesel fuel that has far higher lubrication properties. "Dry" American fuel causes the rotor to gall the sides of the cylinder, and eventually hang up on the grooves. The pump eventually seizes. Bosch is aware of the issue, and has made a few changes to the pump to compensate, but decided not to do a redesign.

Fuel additives with lubricants probably help, but the problem is that there is no systematic or trustworthy information on how much the additive lubricants may help the VP44 -- nobody has tested these products specifically with that pump.

I use additives with every tank, specifically because of the VP44. So far, no problems.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't keep my truck running long enough to get into a pattern with the fueling...

Quick Reply: 24v P-Pump conversion