24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 tranny problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 tranny problems?

Here we go guys, the retard of trucks and repairs. I have a 2001 2500 dodge with a little over 200,000 miles. I bought it with about 180,000. This is stricltly a work truck used for mostly light pully and minimul heavy stuff. I was on the road with my lawn equipment this morning the the truck was running fine and about two hours into the day ( a very hot day) the tranny wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd. I took the rpms up to about 2600 and she would'nt shift and I didn't push it anymore. I limped home and I will have it looked at tomorrow. I was just looking for some knowlegde so I don't get screwed. I did check the fluid when it was hot and the fluild was bubbling up the stick so I know it was overheated. I got home and let it cool down. I checked the fluid with the truck off and cold and it read about an inch and a half over the hot max. I started it and checked and the fluid never went down, as if it wasn't being pumped through the system. I there a pump that could have gone bad and could I possibly salvage the tranny, or will it more than likely be shot. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Fluid must be checked with tranny in neautral and engine idling. (park brake applied of course) A transmission service should give ideal of condition of tranny. Is fluid black, metal in pan greater than size of quarter, KD band sloppy loose, magnet size of chocolate donut, ect.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Tranny Shifting Issue

Hi, I had similar issues on my 2003. It was the TCM Transmission Control Module. Sometimes a replacement of the connector takes care of it. Other times the TCM is bad. It will happen intermittently. You can try removing the connectors. spary with air to clear moisture, then reinstall with dielectric grease. Might work. Only a dealer can read the trouble codes.
Good luck. Steve M stevenmartin@frontiernet.net
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 PM

thanks guys. I now have a place to start
Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM

I had a buddy put the truck on his computer and it did not pull any codes. I drained the tranny fluid and put a new filter in. I ran it today and it actually shifted into to all gears temporarily, when I pushed it really hard. where is the tcm. I did change the transmission relay to no avail so I will check the tcm next. If it's not that I will take it in to the shop and bend over and grab my ankles. thanks for all your help.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No 2-3 shift sounds like the front clutch retainer piston seal.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM

Well I had the truck diagnosed and I was told I had a bad pressure senser. I changed that and the 3/4 shift sensor. Took it and the truck shifts smooth, and that problem fixed. It still does not shift from 3rd to 4th. Overdrive problem, maybe? don't know. thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM

The RPM sensor on Overdrive section of tranny could cause and dealer not catch during evulation. Could it be not going into lockup instead? Brake switch bad, or speed control works O'K?? TCM is on right side of cowl. TCM failure is VERY unlikely. If it went into OD once then theunit is probablly good and some electrical input is messing up.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

new tranny problems. my tranny rebuilt 3 years ago. The heaviest thing ive pulled since is my boat. Today I got in the truck and drove for about a 1/2 hour before gettin on the freeway and everything was fine. I get ont he freeway and my truck wont shift into over drive until 2600 rpm's. it shifts and everything is fine until i arrive. I had 3 more stops for the day and on my way to each one the problem got worse. the tranny would shift, but very slowly. wouldn't just drop in. by the end of the day i would drive at 5-10 mph and the truck would go into gear and then slip out of gear and i was stuck. early in the day i checked fluid and it seemed good. I got home and dropped the pan and got rid of the fluid. the fluid is dark. it is not brown or burnt. no very little metal at bottom of pan. looks normal. im boggled. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Bands, celinoid, censor??????????? Thanks