24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2001 overheating blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
yes, dish powder. i doesn't foam up like soap.
yes, drain the old coolant but no need to get it all out. just drain the rad close the valve dump in powder top off with water and follow instructions.
oh!, and only use cascade! nothing else will do the job for some reason. don't ask me why.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot in the morningand see were that takes me. Also, my computer is pitching the overheating code. How can I clear that as I think its causing it to defuel.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you try using a cooling system cleaner and flushing it out with a garden hose? It sounds like you have a big restriction. Last thing you may have to do is pressure wash the inside of the rad.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was looking at your signature...and you don't have one. What mods have you done to your truck?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 AM

You can buy a kit to check for combustion gases in the radiator, or go to a shop and have them test the coolant for the same thing.

Sounds like some kinda of blockage also,-----no circulation, therefore the pump overides the capacity of the radiator cap, once it heats up it's going to vent somewhere, the weakest point being the radiator cap.

Exhaust/combustion gases will super heat it also

Hope you find it soon.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rays01
Ok, went and bought another thermostat (napa) 190 degree. It has a brass plug extending off the bottom I am assuming it plugs one of the water ports. While I had the stat out I completly filled the block up with coolant until it was spilling out the open radiator. put it all back together. Its still doing the same thing. It will go from 190 to pegging out the gauge in about 10 seconds and trip the check gauge light. Then it drops back down to 190 about 30 seconds later and settles there for awhile. I know it gets that hot as the cap blows all over. Im lost. Im ready to jerk the radiator out and try flushing the fins out somehow. And yes the stat is in the correct position. I have done no major repairs lately and the oil is within 500 miles of just changed. Its still not showing any moister in oil or exhaust.
If you had the stat out and it over heated you have a blown head gasket, or the water pump is shot.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:16 PM

I ran the truck with the old thermostat opened up with a screw to see if it would heat up. In a 35 mile drive the temp never showed a rise on the gauge. Im heading now to the dreaded grocery store to find DW soap. I will work on the sig thing when I get a few sorry, but for now any mods are in my profile. Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rays01
I ran the truck with the old thermostat opened up with a screw to see if it would heat up. In a 35 mile drive the temp never showed a rise on the gauge. Im heading now to the dreaded grocery store to find DW soap. I will work on the sig thing when I get a few sorry, but for now any mods are in my profile. Thanks
go to a radiator shop and have them flow test it , most rad shops won't charge any thing
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM

Are you running 100% antifreeze? If so, this will overhead a motor and make the the temps go crazy. I did this once (stupid me), I drained half of the antifreeze out and topped it off with distilled water. You really need to use only distilled water. Normal tap water contains impurities and makes the water boil at 212 degrees, distilled water contains no impurities, which increases the boiling point. Also, tap water impurities creates buildup, scale, rust, buildup, and mechanical failure.

Run 50/50 mixture for coolant.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Ok, It seems that I have beaten this. I drained it dry and flushed it all out with clear water. Topped it up with water and added around a cup of the dishwasher soap. Let it idle with that stuff in it for an hour and drained it all out again. Then topped it up with water and added 2 quarts of preston rad flush and again let it idle for an hour. Drained it yet again and pulled the thermostat housing and hosed out the inside for about 2 minuts. Filled the block up with 2.5 gallons of anti freeze and another 2 gallons distilled water. Also added some Redline water wetter. That took care of the whole deal. The temp came up at a normal rate and just drifted around 180-195 during a 60 mile highway/ mountain road test drive. Before I couldnt even go a few miles without it boiling. So I have to assume that the fins inside were near plugged with who knows what. I would like to thank everybody for all the help and suggestions. Still wondering though, how long will my truck stay defueled from the overheat code? Thanks, Ray
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I had a similar problem with my car in high school. leave the cap off and let it idle after it has warmed up. Does it regularly pull the anti-freeze level down and then spew it out the cap hole? I had a cracked head, the crack was small enough to let gases thru but not liquids. We checked the radiator for exhuast gases with a tester and sure enough the color changed. The oil never showed any signs of moisture intrusion. I hope this isn't your problem, but they must make a tester for diesels for this.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Sorry Ray, I didn't see you had fixed it. There is some interesting reading on using distilled water v. tap. Something about pure water leaching the minerals out of cast iron to stabilize with the oxygen present in the system. Do a search on distilled vs. tap water. Kurt
Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 PM

Hey, I am having trouble remembering where I read all that business about not using distilled, but after doing the search I just suggested, I can see that distilled water seems to be the choice at this site. Sorry if I wasted your time, Kurt
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Dose it over heat while just idleing or only when you are driving? I have seen head gaskets blown but they can idle all day long but the second the engine builds boost it blows coolant out. But keeping pressure through the night????? I guess that could happen with a blown head gasket but thats weird.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
so, what do you think of the dish soap now!

Quick Reply: 2001 overheating blues