24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2000 won't run without charger on - new B.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 won't run without charger on - new B.

Any comments on this one

I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 that just won't run. It was taken to a dealership and they said it was the fuel system because they couldn't get it to start. I can get it to start but only if I have it hooked up to a battery charger. As soon as I turn the charger off then it sounds as if the motor is about to come apart and won't hardly run. I turn the charger back on and it smooths back out. I have replaced both batteries and cleaned the cables. If anyone has any suggestions I am listening. I am totally confused as to why this is occuring!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Must be a fuel pump problem? The battery charger is powering the LP? I'll bet the IP & LP are shot.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ckennedy
Any comments on this one

I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9 that just won't run. It was taken to a dealership and they said it was the fuel system because they couldn't get it to start.
So, how much fuel pressure do you have ??
Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 AM

OK , what your saying is the engine run and seems fine with the charger on and will not run with it off ? I would be investing in a voltmeter and see what is going on first with the electrical system first. even the VP44 requires a good 12 volts supply to the pump and another good supply to the lift pump before is can operate and be sure to check all the grounds also , so invest in voltmeter and a good wiring stematic.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 AM

Ok - first it is not my truck but the voltmeter check is what I told him to check first off.. was thinking it could be a "lose" auxilliary battery cable issue?? Since I don't have this tuck in front of me I can not check it... I was told by someone that it it could be igintion switch problems.. when I ststed maybe it could be a cable or fuel pump connection issues - they reply with

** You obviously are getting enough voltage to keep the fuel cut off solenoid energized, but it seems the computer is not getting what it needs. **

Sorry about not having all the details - but I was/am just treying to get others thinking on it.. I will try to keep all updated on this... I am also going to ask about that the fuel pressure is in the line - but don't know if they have a good gauge in line..
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 AM

Ok - first it is not my truck but the voltmeter check is what I told him to check first off.. was thinking it could be a "lose" auxilliary battery cable issue?? Since I don't have this tuck in front of me I can not check it... I was told by someone that it it could be igintion switch problems.. when I ststed maybe it could be a cable or fuel pump connection issues - they reply with

** You obviously are getting enough voltage to keep the fuel cut off solenoid energized, but it seems the computer is not getting what it needs. **

Sorry about not having all the details - but I was/am just treying to get others thinking on it.. I will try to keep all updated on this... I am also going to ask about that the fuel pressure is in the line - but don't know if they have a good gauge in line..
You may also do a AC ripple test, check to see how much AC voltage is leaking out of the alternator. More then .5 VAC will really mess things up with your truck.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:59 PM

First, get the truck away from morons at the dealership cause they " obviously" dont know know what they're doing Test both batts independantly with a good carbon pile load tester after charging for awhile, next check all connections. Check alternator for ripple like posted above, a bad diode trio will leak a/c current to the electrical system and pcm and they don't like that. Sounds like the battery charger might be turning the voltage regulator off therefore eliminating th a/c voltage
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What fuel cut off solenoid?
Do you mean the lift pump power supply?
I think I have to agree with tenbrooks and find someone else to look at it.
Sounds like a bad connection to me though.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:23 PM

well

I must say thanks to everyone and wish we could find out what the issues are - but the the truck with the problem is via the net and I can not get intouch with him... so until he surfaces again there is nothing I can do!
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Checking in - I'm having the same problem with my 2001 ram. Very hard to start, very rough idle "coming apart" till 60+ amps feed to the beast, then it gets real smooth. Only one other issue, the pedal is not responsive even with the added amps. I'm going to try the above mentioned and see what happens. To date the battery cables are new, fuel filter, injectors and new LP. Any new thoughts would be helpfull.