24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 grand and still busted

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2 grand and still busted

I give up. Truck was running like crap at WOT. It actually has more power at half throttle then with the pedal mashed. Still smokes until i lift but has a very raspy crackling sound like detonation on a gasser. I started digging. Found a bit of oil on the front of the block. Replace the head gasket, and since i was in there...Oringed the head, and did studs. Wahooo good to go....nope still busted.

Did some more digging and found one of the IC boots was part way off, so, i put it back on. Now that has to be it. Still bogs at WOT from about 2200RPM on (like my choke is on).

So whats left, i know injectors...good excuse to upgrade right? So i put in a set of 7x14s because the 125HP Jammers weren't good enough and one of them had to have failed. Nope Still BUSTED. Now I'm at a loss.

It does the same thing with the boxes on or off, but, the boxes make it more exaggerated. No one around here wants to bench test my pump and there aren't any odd ball noises like i broke something in the bottom end.

The only other solution i have involves gasoline and a match.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

what fuel presure do you see at wot? maybe you are not getting enough to the pump to suit its needs? just noticed the fass, but how bout clogged fuel filter?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Havnt seen below 10psi in the all my pulls and the smoke stays rolling even at 50psi.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Any codes? I wouldn't do anything else until you have checked.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM

No codes, present or in history.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

how bout taking allthe boxes/ d loads out of it and trying it at stock? maybe bad connector on a box givin ya fits? apps/ tps reset??????
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 PM

I'll take those jammers and test them on my truck and see if they do the same
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 PM

APPS was just reset. I have ran it with out either of the boxes. It still has the issue. It is more exaggerated with one or both of the boxes on. I was thinking the MAF may be out of wack but no codes make me think different.

All the pcs i have replaced have been "fun" to fix as they gained me something in the long run. MAF, APPS, IP, and so on is general matenance crap and i am not so quick to throw parts at that.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Austin'sDodge
I'll take those jammers and test them on my truck and see if they do the same
They may be for sale unless I keep them for the possible twins set up...
Old 05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you changed the fuel filter? My brothers 04.5 had the same problem....turned out that he sucked the air filter through the intake tube & it was 3 inches from the turbo. Don't overlook the stupid little things like these.

Last edited by J Lent; 05-29-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Had a crackleing @ 2.5K on my truck last week......my new VP-44 took care of that issue......
Old 05-29-2007, 06:24 PM

When it starts running poor does the truck seem to vibrate like a misfire or partial misfire? I had this problem for a year, swapped injectors (bigger injectors = bigger problem), took pump off and had it tested, everything was perfect, reinstalled pump with a new return check valve and everything is now perfect. I learned that if the valve is not working correctly the truck will run lousy and performance parts will magnify the problem, no codes, fuel pressure will also be OK.
If the valve is bad the injection pump charge volumes will vary and the timing advance piston will not fully advance.

Give it a try

Good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by slowflyer2112
When it starts running poor does the truck seem to vibrate like a misfire or partial misfire? I had this problem for a year, swapped injectors (bigger injectors = bigger problem), took pump off and had it tested, everything was perfect, reinstalled pump with a new return check valve and everything is now perfect. I learned that if the valve is not working correctly the truck will run lousy and performance parts will magnify the problem, no codes, fuel pressure will also be OK.
If the valve is bad the injection pump charge volumes will vary and the timing advance piston will not fully advance.

Give it a try

Good luck
Can you point me in the right direction here?
The search drop down isnt being of any help.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM

So...let me get this straight, you're running

486.4HP 1067Ft/Lbs, 38psi, stupid stocker studs

And complaining about the way it's running? Calling it garbage?

How much do you think your driveline was designed for? Why are you continuing to throw parts at it? How much power do you really think you need?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Sure, On the side of the VP-44 there are two fuel lines w/banjo bolts, one is supply and one is return (supply line from fuel filter). Remove the return line banjo, there's a return spring and ball built into the bolt. Try blowing through it both ways, If you can its toast, if it leaks its toast, replace it.

Quick Reply: 2 grand and still busted