24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st and second gear only, 4x4 stuck in 4LOW mode??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st and second gear only, 4x4 stuck in 4LOW mode??

my tranny 02 wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear, it started when i drove through deep water. it shifted a few times got better-worse-better, i drained the oil, took the vb off, cleaned and freed up all the valves on the lower vb, (there were only 5 valves in there, idk if there are any more hiding up there) i put it back together and my connector from the top of the tranny going to the shift solonoids seems like its not clipping all the way in, idk. but now it REALLY wont shift out of 2nd. its hard to get it to go in 2nd even. no lockup. its making me angry. what would happen if i were to leave the connector going to the shift solonoids unplugged from a perfectly working tranny? could it be that it is somehow stuck in 4x4 low mode so that it wont shift to 3 and 4? also, if i unplug or plug in my trans, it doesnt change anything!! help!!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:21 PM

ps truck isnt in sig, its a 02 cummins 4x4 auto
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 AM

I'm missing something... is it stuck in 4wd as well? even if stuck in 4low you should still shift thru all gears.

if it wont shift into 2nd generally its because the gov sensor or transducor is shot, if your hooked up to a scanner you can see if the gov sensor is gone.

also if the electrical connection is not hooked up you will have no lock up/ stuck in gears etc

another question is how did you check your tranny oil, in park or neutral? (must be in neutral)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM

oh, i thought if it was in 4low it would not shift out of 2nd, i know ford e4ods wont shift past second gear in 4low. no its not stuck in 4x4. checked the tranny oil in neutral. oil level is perfect. oil is not burned and the bottom of the pan was clean. i am going to pull the valve body off today, im going to pull the whole thing off this time and clean all the valves, put new electronics in it as well as adjust all the bands and see where im at.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM

best if you scan it first, no sence replacing all the electronic stuff first.

here is a pic of the gov sensor/transducor

Name:  xp29h3.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  140.6 KB
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM

to my knowledge, 1-3 are mechanically shifted, only OD and TC lock up are electrically applied.
Gov sensor/transducor is need so tranny can use gov pressure signals to know when to shift,
someone more knowledgeable hopefully will chime in
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 AM

that picture is awesome!! i did not take the top part of the valve body off, only the bottom part. i am going back in today and pulling the whole valve body off and cleaning all the rest of the valves in there and replacing electronics. my wire connector that sticks out on top seems like its not pluging in all the way, it doesnt click or anything. it only goes halfway, like theres something in there not letting it go, i could be wrong. im going to look at that as well, i am getting codes for shift solonoids, transducer and all that good stuff in there, but i dont know if its from driving without that plug plugged in or what, im going to fix it today though! can i change bands without pulling transmission?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 AM

when i did it yesterday, i didnt know there were more valves up in there, i thought there was only 5 valves and i thought thats kinda strange since a e4od has 15 or more..
Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM

so if i unhook all the wires going to the transmission it should shift 1-2-3 without any problems? because im only getting 1 sometimes 2 and no 3
Old 09-26-2010, 12:11 PM

do you have any pics of the valve body exploded view where all the springs-valves go?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I believe if you unplug the connector to the trans you only have 2-3. My old 47re did this when I hit something on the road and it somehow munched up some of the wiring harness. Any speed sensors on the tranny you can pull and clean?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 PM

ok, now i got the whole valve body apart and i checked all the valves, none of the valves were stuck, everything looked perfect inside. im at a loss, i hope i can get this thing back together! that long rod going to the rear of the tranny was in there i had to yank it to get it out! i will pull the speed sensor and clean it. the truck has 38" tires so the tranny has always shifted late, but it never quit shifting all together, im actually getting discouraged at this point, theres only so many things that can be wrong!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM

i got it fixed!!! the transducer governor whatever its called was all plugged up!! the little screen on there was gooped, i got a new one and it shift smooth as glass now!!! cost 200 bux sensors fluid brake cleen everything! thank you nickg!! you nailed it
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM

hey, the trans did something really strange, after i got it working for my buddy. i drove it around about ten miles, it was fine, he comes over and we go for a test drive, maybe 5 miles, when we get back to my house, the tranny temp light comes on. why?? cuz the tranny is hot. ok, check the temp on the tranny cooler, its cool to the touch. we take the line off the cooler, start truck and place in neutral. no flow through the cooler whatsoever. so we take the line going to the cooler loose, restart and it flows like crazy!! fill gallon jug up in seconds. i blow through the cooler just with a hose and blowing with my mouth, it wasnt plugged up, nothing seemed to fall out of the cooler hose, nothing crazy, i flushed both coolers real well and blew through them with the air hose, nothing seemed strange, but its working now. the first time it got hot, i could hear the oil boiling inside the transmission, and if i spit on the tranny pan, it would sizzle, fluid smells burnt. could we have had some sort of vapor lock issue with the cooler lines? stuck valve? is there a thermostat that could have got stuck?