24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st post, Still have questions after 2 weeks of reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post, Still have questions after 2 weeks of reading

Hey guys, Great site!

I bought my 02 (12-01) Dodge on 7/4/05 and have been reading this site pretty much non stop since then and I've learned a lot. I appreciate all the great info here and maybe I'll be able contribute as I start mod'ing the truck. The Cummins is sweet, it replaced a 94 GMC 2500 w/ 454 for towing duty and it's like night and day. Bone stock this truck will out pull all my buddies gassers with ease. On the highway it doesn't have trouble keeping up with the BOMB'd 7.3 and Duramax in our crew. The truck only has 78K and feels fresh. I can't wait to BOMB it.

I don't have gauges yet so I don't know what my actual boost psi is but why does it feel like I have the most boost in 4th and 5th gear? Off the line in 2nd it wraps out quick, 3rd wraps up a little slower but those gears don't seem to have to seat of your pants go that 4th and 5th do, is this normal?

Also I've read a lot about boost foolers and/or turnbuckles. I wasn't able to find any pics of a turnbuckle to see where it goes or looks like. Would disabling the waste gate help with low gear boost?

I'm putting a BHAF in it soon and I'm saving for a 4" turbo back and somekind of chip. I want to install the chip and exhaust at the same time for a good baseline comparison to stock. I should be able to get a true 65/185 bump for around a grand (I hope!).

tia...
Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 AM

The biggest reason you seem to have more boost in fourth or fifth is because you do. The engine is pulling longer and the turbo has the opportunity to do alll it can. In the lower gears the turbo does not have the time to spool up. I don't think a turnbuckle will help the boost in lower gears either.
Tom
Old 07-16-2005, 12:05 PM

I personally would skip the 4" at this point and get gauges instead. I'm still using my stock exhuast (straight piped) and still don't feel a 4" is necessary....JMHO.

As far as the seat of the pants feel of 4th and 5th, more than likely your truck is feeling the load of the higher gears and therefor your building more boost....more seat of the pants power. Unless you're really romping on it in 1st and 2nd your not building much boost...it's just muscling throught the gears with the little bit of a load your putting on it and so this is what your probably feeling. Get them gauges and you'll see what I mean.

Also, the turnbuckles work with the automatic turbos, your 5 speed has a different turbo and uses something else to block of the wastegate.....a .22 cal. shell casing comes to mind if I remember correctly.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get guages before you do anything.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the explaination fellas

Originally posted by J Double
I personally would skip the 4" at this point and get gauges instead. I'm still using my stock exhuast (straight piped) and still don't feel a 4" is necessary....JMHO.

Yeah, guages first but what other mods do you have have?

I read that 3" exhaust will only support up to 250 HP

(In STEP 2) http://www.dieselram.com/reviews/properorder.htm

With 235 HP stock an edge ez will put me over that and I plan on getting 100+ evetually Having a diesel is as addictive as building a crawler. My wife's going to love this!

So is the only way to get super fast spool up is with twins? That will never happen unless I hit the lottery.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:16 AM

I should be in the neighborhood of 430-450RWHP (check sig. for mods) and I don't have EGT issues for everyday driving and towing 7k-9k camper/trailer. The only time EGT's are an issue is when I take it to the track (1425*) so.....is it really necessary for me? Probably not. Is it REALLY necessary for you at this point...I'd say not, but eventually.

On the flipside...I just noticed your location so elevation my come into play more than it would for me.

Put a Edge Comp on your truck and your turbo will light alot quicker.