24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st oil change due, what all needs attention??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st oil change due, what all needs attention??

I am ready for my first oil change on my 2000 Ram/Cummins and just want some advice what all to address at this time. I bought the truck about 3800 miles ago(it had about 59,500 miles at purchase). I had it gone through and serviced a couple of days after buying (had new fuel filter installed at that time). I have a K&N air filter and am going to be using Rotella oil and Fleetguard filters. Besides changing oil and filters right now, are there any other service items that need to be addressed now? I plan on changing fuel filter and servicing K&N every other oil change. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, what best to use for a oil drain pan for these beasts? Thanks and Happy New Year to all.. RJ in Montana....
Old 12-30-2002, 02:35 PM

Re:1st oil change due, what all needs attention??

On mine, the OEM drain plug just loosens, you don't have to totally remove it, and it drains slow enough that I'm able to use two small drain pans. I watch til one is full, and then gently push the empty one under. Haven't spilled much if any. You're gonna get at least 10 quarts of used oil out of the sump.<br><br>A strap wrench works good for the filter, and double plastic grocery bags placed around it makes removal from the engine compartment mess free.<br><br>I usually grease the steering components, including track bar on my 4X4 and any u-joints with zerks. There is a weep hole on the water pump that needs to be cleaned out with a wire every so often as well. Rear drum brakes, if so equipped, can be adjusted too. Tire pressure could also be checked.<br><br>There is a wealth of maintenance info on dodgeram.org. It's worth a visit.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:21 AM
Chapter President

Remember its more then just time to change the oil &amp; filter now a good time to look everything over for possible future problems, hoses rubbing, belt wear, leaks, tire pressure and wear, u joints loose, steering parts loose, wiring loose and rubbing, and dont forget to top off all the other fluids and gear boxes.<br><br>.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:48 AM

You need to be aware of TSB 08-23-00 since you will be working near the rear of the alternator. If your build date and engine serial number indicate that TSB 08-23-00 applies to your truck, you could be seeing fireworks.