24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1999 fuel problem...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 fuel problem...help!!

I just bought(for cheap) a non running 1999 diesel. It wont start, unless pull started. When I turn on the key I dont hear the bzzzzzz In the tank like I hear on my 2001. So, I assumed the in-tank fuel pump was the problem. The local auto supply sold me a in line fuel transfer pump that bolts just below the fuel filter assembly, (there are banjo type fuel lines going in & out of it). My question is this....Does this new inline 'fuel tranfer pump' replace the original 'in tank' fuel pump? Or do I have to do replace the 'in tank' pump as well? Ive already got the tank out.
thanks
Doug
Old 03-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u will have a tough time pulling fuel through a dead in tank pump. drop the tank and put a draw straw.....or get the tank unit from a durango (it is identical) that has no pump and use your external pump. www.vulcanperformance.com i think has one of the best pricing around,but if u dont live near the state of washington it could take sometime for u to get the parts, mine as well change out all the banjos to jic fittings, and get the big line kit.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 fuel problem...help!!-dsc_2102.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM

I don't think you have an in-tank lift pump...99 have the LP mount on the engine, driver side, below the fuel filter assembly. I also own a 99 CTD..
check this first, than replace it with a oem pump, carter, airtex...and try to start the beast. also check fuel filter.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The '99's didn't have an in-tank pump originally.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Confirmed, 99's have no in-tank pump. You need to get that pump running or replace it with an aftermarket setup. You also need to get a fuel pressure guage installed post-filter. Look at my photos to see where I have mine hooked up. Unfortuneately, there aren't many fuel filter housing parts available for the 99's anymore. All the dealers will want to install an in-tank pump. 99's also have a bad habit of developing a fuel leak around the heater wires. This can be easily repaired with a new o-ring. Good luck with the 99 man..
Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 PM

yeah 99's dont have an intank pump but it will if it was taken in for a retrofit by the dealer.....i also have a 99....being that it was purchased used who knows what was done to it ?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mini14
yeah 99's dont have an intank pump but it will if it was taken in for a retrofit by the dealer.....i also have a 99....being that it was purchased used who knows what was done to it ?

Excalty, My 98 has an intank(I can hear is buzzing back there) and there is a sticker on the front radiator support that says the fuel system has been modified.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your wallet is sabotaging your truck!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 PM

99 with in tank pump

Hmmmm, my 99 has a 'in tank' pump, or what looks like a pump. I had the whole assembly out today & it's got a submersible pump & screen on the bottam, it also has the fuel gauge float etc. all in one. Under the filter there was a aluminum block with the 'banjo' type fittings going in & out of it, why it was there, I dont know, but I removed the block & thats where I hooked up my new Carter 'in line pump'. The pump even came with a pigtail wiring kit that plugged right in. The truck is running now & it seems to suck the fuel through the old dead 'in tank' pump just fine.
Everything looks factory, from the 4plug wiring at the tank pump to the aluminum block under the fuel filter. My truck is an early 99, March I think.
Do you think it's ok to be sucking the fuel through the old dead 'in tank' pump? One thing I noticed is that the old pump has got a one way check valve, you can suck fuel through it...but it wont go back, so if I removed the pump & just put a hose in it's place, fuel would drain back into the tank?? possible Airlock?
thanks
Doug
PS now ive got the 'check engine' light on!!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 AM

You haven't the pump under the fuel filter assembly?? check this...from where you hear the bzzzzz, engine compartment or tank?
check for codes, you need a code reader for 99.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 AM

It sounds like the truck had the upgrade done to it. I'm not quite sure why you want the OEM pump on the engine anyway. I have gone through a couple already. The pump gets rattled to death on the side of the motor. JMO,you should have left that aluminblock in and put an aftermarket pump near the tank. I know when my vp finally flatlines, I'm getting a FASS with the new pump. If you are drawing fuel through a non-working pump with that junky Carter, you had best see what your pressure is. The engine may run ok but you could be cooking your vp44.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM

just put that aluminum block back, and relocate the pump next to the tank, it will live a lot longer..u also have to c how much pressure u have with your new pump pulling through the old one..anything less then 5lbs in all situations u gonna kill the vp.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that you have it running you have time to order the Vulcan LP relocation kit and a big line kit with draw straw. You also need a FP gauge.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM

I havent heard the bzzzzz yet, the lift pump was dead when I bought the truck. No lift pump under the filter.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys, the first thing Ill do is check the fuel pressure, then work on relocating the lp.
Doug

Quick Reply: 1999 fuel problem...help!!