24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1988 24v Lift Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
24v Lift Pump on1998?

Edit: 1998 24v.
Engine died in the driveway 5 sec after starting.
Not hearing the lift pump when the key is cycled. Went to check for power at the lift pump…and there isn’t one where I was expecting it. I guess this means I’m one of the “lucky ones” with the in-tank pump

Dumb question- if it turns out the lift pump is bad can I just install a block-mounted lift pump and assume it’ll pull through the dead one in the tank? No funds for a FASS upgrade at the moment, although I get it that it can save your VP44 down the road.

Who stole my lift pump?

Last edited by SOhappy; 09-08-2024 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Keep trying to edit “1988” to “1998” but it won’t change it. Bug?
Old 09-09-2024, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, you will have to put a sump and sending unit in the thank.

You probably do not have the 3 hole lift pump bracket at the engine that’s stock on ‘01 up.

It’s a lot of searching but I have found and bought just the pump motor instead of replacing your whole tank unit. You need it out to get all identifiable numbers off of it. It might already be offered like that somewhere already.

Keeping what you have now is your cheapest way out.
The following users liked this post:
SOhappy (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrandt
No, you will have to put a sump and sending unit in the thank.

You probably do not have the 3 hole lift pump bracket at the engine that’s stock on ‘01 up.

It’s a lot of searching but I have found and bought just the pump motor instead of replacing your whole tank unit. You need it out to get all identifiable numbers off of it. It might already be offered like that somewhere already.

Keeping what you have now is your cheapest way out.
Thanks for the reply! Lucky me. I just barely topped off the tank.

So, did mine come stock with the in-tank filter? I read somewhere it was a dealer “upgrade” when the block-mounted pump failed.

Sounds like if I plan on keeping the truck I should save for a VP44 soon (if it isn’t already toast), a FASS and a fuel pressure gauge?

(New to the 24v world. Have only had 3rd and 4th gens previously)
Old 09-09-2024, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m not sure when they did in tank to out back to back in. My ‘01 came with the lift pump at the engine when new. I mean in tank an upgrade is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I for one don’t like dropping the tank. I’m happy right where it is. I would say that, there is no doubt that yours is pushing the fuel vs mine pulling the fuel, yours is more beneficial to push.

yes protect that VP44, that is a cost you only want to do once. I have a gauge right before the VP44. It’s good to have the most reliable pump, but the visual protection of loss of pressure is your savior. $100 pump vs $600 pump, when they go out they both do the same damage. It’s about the pressure. I run a FASS on a Powerstroke I have, only because that injector pump is very sensitive to moisture, on my Cummins, there is a pump that Summit has for $100 maybe, I have had it for 13 years.

I would not stress on it for a while though if you stay which the in tank for now. You have a while. And that Fleece sump/sending unit you will need also, is I think another $400.

Hey good luck. Gotta laugh about filling your tank up, what you gonna do, RIGHT!
The following users liked this post:
SOhappy (09-09-2024)