24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1800 cummins a fluke

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well put TNutcher.

If you don't like what Cummins has to offer, sell your truck and go buy a Dmax or something. If this was a safety issue of some sort, then a recall or more obligation would be made by Cummins to fix it, however it is a known defect that was corrected. The problem is the defect didn't surface until after a few years of production.

It's not like the engineers at Cummins sit there think "boy, what can we pull over on them this time... we need something that will last them a few years and then grenade on them. It'll sell like hot cakes!" People make mistakes, companies make mistakes. Companies have to compensate for their mistakes with warranty work. The warranty is clearly stated in the manual, anything outside of that is your faith in the product.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
The vast maority of the 53 blocks didn't crack... There is a difference in being inferior and being junk.
Look its a common problem in the same spot on the engine it's a defect...Quit taking up for cummins , dont get me wrong I love the cummins engine I really do ,It makes me upset when they help some and dont others....thats all
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Texaschevelle
Prior, they did'nt. But from 98.5- 02, they had to know by then the VP sucked
Except that they couldn't have known about the VP44 problems until it went into the real world AFTER 98.5, but thats not the subject here.

What you say in answer to my question is, they did NOT know about the 53 blocks prior to selling them. This tells me that a class action suit won't work, because Cummins/Dodge didn't deliberately sell a bad product to the consumer.

Now, if the individual feels he has a problem, a civil suit might work. But one thing you'd need is an actual crack in the block, not just a 53 casting.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Heck I aint gonna sue em or nothing I'm just a belly acheing cuz I got a cracked block lol!!!!!no big deal I'll fix it and suck it up......
Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Most of the folks with the cracked blocks are also modified to produce way more Hp & Torque out of their engines than when they left Cummins factory detuned to Dodge Specs to be installed in a pickup truck.

There are thousands of 53 blocked 5.9 ISB CTDs happily running down the road without a problem.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokin 99
Look its a common problem in the same spot on the engine it's a defect...Quit taking up for cummins , dont get me wrong I love the cummins engine I really do ,It makes me upset when they help some and dont others....thats all
You were painting all the 53 blocks a junk. And I think someone needs to take up for the party that isn't here. I think it's fun to play devil's advocate

I'm not saying it's fair that they help some and not others, but some things just aren't fair.
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Most of the folks with the cracked blocks are also modified to produce way more Hp & Torque out of their engines than when they left Cummins factory detuned to Dodge Specs to be installed in a pickup truck.

There are thousands of 53 blocked 5.9 ISB CTDs happily running down the road without a problem.
Sometimes I feel like the only person that doesen't think they are all junk.

And I did have a 53 that I planned to keep forever untill it was stolen...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gunny
If you get 100k out of it and it hasn't cracked and started leaking, it ain't gonna.
All I can say is

Simply untrue!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead

C'mon Ed, you know the first statement is stretching it a bit. When you find out about cracks in all sorts of different applications at all sorts of different power levels and at many different service intervals, it is easy to see that power output has virtually nothing to do with the 53 issue. You have, no doubt, read countless threads yourself of cracked 53's over the years with all sorts of different mileage on trucks from bone stock to wild.

There are also thousands (yes, thousands) of trucks that didn't run happily down the road as the result of a cracked 53. I see no justifcation of the problem with your last statement.