24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1 hour talk with Dodge Sevice Manager

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 hour talk with Dodge Sevice Manager

I picked up my truck the other day from Allen Samuels on the 610 loop. The AC Conderser had gone bad, 2nd in 24 months. Still had warranty.
The Manegr was very glad to talk CTD, as he just bought an 09 or 10 3500 and loves it.
On changing fluids on the Diff. he thought somewhere between 15-30k wsa a good interval, with Synthetic. Check it with your finger every 5k after 15.
NV5600- Check the fluid, leave it alone if it is running OK. Maybe change at 100k.
Oil- Believes Dino is OK, but if people want to buy Snthetic, it is OK with him.

Engine Exercise-Run the truck un to redline once in a while, it will run better.

Parking between trips- Run your truck once a week and get it up to temperature, at least 10 miles. This is especially important on older trucks, regardless of miles.
Fuel- Strong believer in getting the best fuel possible and staying consistent. He like Phillips

6.7 Owners- As you all know, these have had some issue. ALL of these issues have been corrected with software updates, including injectors. I am sure there are a lot of contrary view on that subject. There are updates everyday for 6.7's.

Other Car- Moded VW GTI Gas, putting down 250HP.
I hope all the service managers from Dodge that you meet are like this one.
On the other hand $90 to install a serpentine belt is a bit pricey.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My boss's '03 with only 42K miles on it has water pump out ALREADY. He's not happy and looking to switch to Toyota.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....wait until he tries to change that Toyota waterpump.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Yep, I was just thinking, boy, only drive that Toyota 5K a year and see how well it fares....... a 20 Min water pump Vs. ?????
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Yep, I was just thinking, boy, only drive that Toyota 5K a year and see how well it fares....... a 20 Min water pump Vs. ?????
you have to change the timing belt on then toyotas to do a water pump
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The grass is always greener...yada yada yada, It sure would be a tough task changing a water pump on a ricer beside the road, mind you I did once change a broken crankshaft on an inline 6 beside the road. Girl friend at the time was NOT impressed.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver R/T
My boss's '03 with only 42K miles on it has water pump out ALREADY. He's not happy and looking to switch to Toyota.
A 6 year old truck and your boss is crying. What a wimp . tell him to suck it up and buy the repair. Six years old and he cries ALREADY. What a tool.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
.....wait until he tries to change that Toyota waterpump.
I know. I looked on my 01 and it doesn't look that hard. Not sure how it is on 3rd gen. Guy doesn't do any work on his cars as far as I know....I showed him how to change oil on his Cummins.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
I know. I looked on my 01 and it doesn't look that hard. Not sure how it is on 3rd gen. Guy doesn't do any work on his cars as far as I know....I showed him how to change oil on his Cummins.
If you showed him how to change the oil then it is safe to say he doesn't do any work himself.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:52 PM

first one in 6 years...i just did a second one on mine, just over 5 years old. i let the dealership do the first one because of warranty but this one i did myself and it was fairly simple. tell him to quit whining and just do it. BTW if you think he's crying now wait til the lift pump goes out and the warranty has expired, cost over $1000 for the in-tank and retro kit
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
If you showed him how to change the oil then it is safe to say he doesn't do any work himself.
well he DID oil change himself (or so he says). After I've showed him where his oil filter is and showed him which oil to get. I'm trying to help him out since he pays like $75-80 for oil change and it costs ~$50 if you do it yourself.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stew130
first one in 6 years...i just did a second one on mine, just over 5 years old. i let the dealership do the first one because of warranty but this one i did myself and it was fairly simple. tell him to quit whining and just do it. BTW if you think he's crying now wait til the lift pump goes out and the warranty has expired, cost over $1000 for the in-tank and retro kit
Is the lift pump still an issue on "common rail" trucks? His warranty did expire, I'm just waiting to see how much dealership will charge him to do water pump on his truck.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:18 PM

The in-tank pumps arent very bad. The earlier ones seem to have been marginal, although Ive yet to have an issue with either of mine.

And why in the hell would you spend over a grand on an inferior factory retrofit, when you can get a better pump, added filtration, which I could only see as adding longevity to the fuel system, for half that?? Doesnt make much sense to me
Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM

talked to my supervisor, he says he expects to pay $1200-$1500 for water pump change....I just smiled and walked away. They he says he just doesn't want "anyone" working on it but "diesel mechanic"
Is it just me or it doesn't take "diesel mechanic" to change a water pump on a truck. Maybe there's something I don't know?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 PM

(raises hand) heck im in the wrong racket.......1200 bucks fer a water pump
toughest part of the job is draining and disposing of the anti freeze

Quick Reply: 1 hour talk with Dodge Sevice Manager