24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"01" Blowby

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"01" Blowby

Have a "01" 5.9 cummins stock Just a hay feedn farm truck. Has 127,000 miles on it Actually has more hours than miles. The front oil tube fills the bottle full of oil every day. Want to check the blowby. The country method is to place ur finger over the blowby tube and check at the oil fill cap.How much is acceptable.
New test to check blowby. Cunnins tech states "get 10 to 15 feet 3/4" clear tubing and loop the end and fill with h2o (mark level) place oppisite end on blowby tube on front of engine. Start the engine (the h20 will blow out of the tube if there is not enough in the tube) watch the h2o rise. Cummins tech states 5" ok, 10" borderline, 15" rebuild motor. Also check Vaccum pump. Remove vac hose ( red plastic on our truck) hold finger over line repete test if h2o is lower you have vac leak, if h20 is same vac pump is ok.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited by digginhiggins; 10-22-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Just In from Cummins
Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Do a search for blowby tube mod. Basically you get rid of the bottle and just run a tube straight down & let it drain on the ground. Its one of the best mods I've done.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Its blowin oil down the bottom of the truck, tryn to see how to fix it. Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by wadecool
Do a search for blowby tube mod. Basically you get rid of the bottle and just run a tube straight down & let it drain on the ground. Its one of the best mods I've done.
Exactly what I did. After I blew my turbo, I had the radiator and intercooler out. I decided to pressure wash the front of my engine along with most of the engine compartment. At this time I took a ride down to tractor supply and got some black hose and an addapter. I threw the catch bottle in the trash. My blow-by tube is now about 8 inches above the ground and my engine has no oil or greasy mess buildup on it. My truck has a good amount of blowby and will leave a nice little spot from the tube after is has been drove hard... Im not worried about it, I notice on our John Deere tractors on the farm, 1 with over 6,000 hours on it. I can stand there and watch the smoke pour out of the blow by tube like its its job.. But still it burns very little oil, and still can yank about 1000 bushel of wet corn down the road at 22 MPH in pride..

Another thing to check is if its a tad over filled on oil, it can puke it out the blowby tube...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the input, This truck will puke about a gallon of oil every 2 days, I've got a 98 and a 95 that have 600,000 miles between them and add 1 qt every 5,000 mi havent seen any thing pour oil out like this.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digginhiggins
Thanks for the input, This truck will puke about a gallon of oil every 2 days, I've got a 98 and a 95 that have 600,000 miles between them and add 1 qt every 5,000 mi havent seen any thing pour oil out like this.
No one is listening to you. You have a ring or scored piston causing excess blow-by. Cummins does have a test using a manometer. A compression or leak down would tell you what hole or hole the problem is in. I am not sure on a 24 valve how you would do it. Most likely you would need the injector out and access the cylinder through the injectors hole. I am sure if you do try the manometer/water test the bloby will be excessive. If its not excessive the oil must be getting tossed from the timing gears into the vent some how. Baffle broken or missing? Does the motor haze from the vent tube? If so you can bet its tired. If its bombed at all and run without a pyro you can bet number 6 hole is hurt.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a post on this the other day and I think dodge has something that recirculates it back in the motor.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

2 gallons!! that is way too much blowby!!! u have a problem,I would get it checked.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Motor down, looks like the o'l K&N let a little too much dust in the intake is loaded with a crust of dust and the rings are loaded with dust and carbon. i did the o'l water in the tube test, spit that water right out the tube ( takes about 12" of water to keep the water in the tube) has about 16" of rise for blo by. Cyl look good will measure today for an overhaul kit. Rebuild the o'l gal and run it sum more.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Motor down, looks like the o'l K&N let a little too much dust in the intake is loaded with a crust of dust and the rings are loaded with dust and carbon. i did the o'l water in the tube test, spit that water right out the tube ( takes about 12" of water to keep the water in the tube) has about 16" of rise for blo by. Cyl look good will measure today for an overhaul kit. Rebuild the o'l gal and run it sum more.
trash the K&N .... of course you know that by now.here's the one i use
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks john, we know the side effects now. Hey know anything about the P1693 code I learned a lot today.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 AM

Code says there is a code in ECM. May not be a issue since engine ran O'K. IE no stalling, dying, no start ect. Can you check LP pressure just to be sure a failure is not sneaking up on you. Cylinder wall wear is a good possibility with dust induction into engine. Measure taper, it is critical to long engine life. JMHO
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Any pictures by chance of the severity of the dust getting past the k&n filter. I've heard of people who do oil analysis and said they had a k&n filter and the dirt content of the oil was high. Changed to a different filter and dirt content(lack of a better term) went down.