24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

01 2500 5.7 diesel 2wd wont start need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletbob1574
the problem is that i cant get it started to get it to auto zone.
they sell one for less than 100.00 use it an return it
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUll the line

Do you have a gage that tells you that there is pressure from the lift pump? If no gage or no pressure:

Pull the line from the fuel filter to the Injection Pump and stick the line in a jar of some kind to keep from making a mess.

Crank the engine on and off to start the lift pump.

If you still have no fuel at the IP and you are positive you have fuel in the tank, you need to either change the fuel filter or replace the lift pump.

I lost my lift pump, then my IP. While in the process of replacing all that expensive stuff, I figured out my fuel sending unit in the tank was bad and reading 1/4 when there was none.

The bad fuel sending unit caused lots of diagnostic problems before I figured out what was going on.

...gm
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, gotta have lift pump fuel pressure to feed the injector pump.

The fuel pressure needs to be known, that's why most have a fuel pressure gauge.
If you have an old R12 Freon install kit w/gauge, you can use it to check the lift pump fuel pressure, otherwise kits are avalable at most chain type auto parts stores.

Don't forget to close the fill valve.
Name:  Image048.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  Image042.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  75.1 KB

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.

Name:  Image046.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  49.7 KB

Stock spec is 10psi+, most folks look for 15psi.

While your there, be sure the fuel filter housing is 3/4 full of fuel or all that air will have to be bled from the system.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM

ok i will try that if that dont fix it i have to tow it to a mechanic i cant afford not to have my truck for another week thats how i make my money
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

1. You need to diagnose which means pulling codes with a scanner. Autozone etal loan them. Put it on a card if you're broke & you'll get the credit back when you return the scanner.

2. You need fuel to the injectors. Start by making sure that your batteries are charged. You likely have discharged them because of all the cranking.

The companion code means nothing other than there is another code. Get a scanner. Reading the dashboard with the key won't help. Start by getting a scanner. It might be something simple like a bad CKP which doesn't always throw codes but begin by using a scanner.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM

I think if you crack the injector lines and see fuel seeping out when you crank it you should have enough LP pressure to fire the IP and truck up. Crack as many injectors as you can, bump the starter and make sure fuel comes out of each injector nut area, tighten up the injector lines, and crank again. May take awhile and a battery charger is a must. Also, crack the fuel filter drain and let some fuel drain from the can. Water doesn't burn too well. First, though, take the top off the fuel filter and see if it is filled to the top with fuel.....
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
I think if you crack the injector lines and see fuel seeping out when you crank it you should have enough LP pressure to fire the IP and truck up. .....
We don't know squat about his problem. Only that he cranked it with cracked lines and it didn't start. It could be fuel as in lift pump or it could be ckp or...

A gauge would help. At least he would know that fuel was to the VP. It could easily be the CKP. Mine had fuel pressure, would crank but no boom. Other times it would fire right up.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM

ok i will go down and get a guage but i think that i have a old r12 gague out at my shop will try that before the wrecker comes in the morning

thanks for yalls help
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Post back when you find out what it is.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
We don't know squat about his problem. Only that he cranked it with cracked lines and it didn't start. It could be fuel as in lift pump or it could be ckp or...

A gauge would help. At least he would know that fuel was to the VP. It could easily be the CKP. Mine had fuel pressure, would crank but no boom. Other times it would fire right up.

Yeah, I guess my point was, from a "just getting the truck started" point of view is that if fuel is leaking out the injectors it is being pushed by the LP and getting to the IP. Que, no? You can run this truck without an LP and it'll still fire up if there are no other problems. My deductive reasoning was that if I see fuel leaking out of the injector lines when I crank the engine then my LP is doing something good. QED. I was just suggesting that troubleshooting an LP that is obviously pumping some amount of fuel won't necessarily help or hinder the truck starting process. Of course, I've also never heard of a "CKP". Cranky Killer Pump? Crazy Knowledge Persists? Citizen Kane Promotion? JMHO....
Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

Of course, I've also never heard of a "CKP". Cranky Killer Pump? Crazy Knowledge Persists? Citizen Kane Promotion? JMHO....
My IT professor used to respond "RTFM". From the 00 FSM, Crankshaft Position Sensor - ECM input page 14-105. Located in the block. Pull starter to remove. Without correctly functioning CKP, truck will crank but not fire. Mine was intermittent without throwing codes. 1st time I replaced with Cummins part, 2nd time with lifetime Autozone part.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Okay, CKP = Crankshaft Position Sensor. Makes sense to me. He also has an '01 so I wouldn't read the '00 FSM. My 3rd grade teacher always told me to RTFQ, but I digress. Section 8E-13 of the '01 FSM talks about the inputs, and says that without the CKP the injector pump would be shut down if the truck doesn't light off within 3 seconds. 8L-5 talks about the CMP doing the duties of the CKP, so it's all Greek to me. It is strange, though, that yours (Junk Man) failed and didn't throw any ECM codes. The '01 FSM says that with a failed CKP you will get a P0320 AND it will set the MIL. Not sure about an '00, though....
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

My 3rd grade teacher always told me to RTFQ, but I digress. Section 8E-13 of the '01 FSM talks about the inputs, and says that without the CKP the injector pump would be shut down if the truck doesn't light off within 3 seconds. The '01 FSM says that with a failed CKP you will get a P0320 AND it will set the MIL. Not sure about an '00, though....
I have the 00 FSM hardcopy and 01 that I downloaded. They are very similar. Mine didn't throw a code. A search turns up many others that also didn't have a code and some that have. The CKP went south twice on my truck. The last had intermittent failures & would only crank as if it wasn't getting fuel even though the AirDog kicked as normal. I replaced the overflow valve as sticking open can also cause the same symptoms. The next no-start & I replaced the CKP. No problems since.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 AM

It'd be nice to have a list of things that can be wrong/broken when the engine won't start. Kind of like a "start here and then do this" type of list. I guess that would be a long list with the ECM/PCM we have....
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

ok everyone that helped i appreciate it alot when my brothers friend a diesel mechanic came over today to help with the problem
before he got here i went out and bought a lift pump on craigslist brand new for $125
when he got there he hooked up his code reader and the only thin showing was injector pump timing
so we drained the air out of the fuel filter on the back of the canister and then on the injector pump and one other place i dont know what it went to
after about 15 min of doing this he got a good stream of diesel coming out of both valves but it still would not start he also poped the air filter housing so that the engine could get as much air as possible
so we went down to auto zone and bought a can of starter fluid for $3.49 and got home sparyed it into the air filter breather and it cranked up after the second time
WARNING WARNING he told me not to spray for longer that 2 seconds because it could hyper lock the engine SO BE CAREFUL

i spent about $300 on what could have been fixed with just $4.00 lolol
so now im going tommorrow to buy some 295/70/17 for my running truck that has not seen the pavement for three weeks

thanks alot everyone travis said you saved him about 2 hours of troubleshooting and fine tunning
so again i thank you

bobby lawson in arlington,tx

Quick Reply: 01 2500 5.7 diesel 2wd wont start need help