24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

01 24 valve hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 24 valve hard to start

My 24 valve has become harder to start recently, normally when its warm. It cranks hard, but will sometimes take longer than it should to start. My first thought after doing some reading was the LP. I just hooked a fuel preasure gauge up tonight. Its reading 14-15 psi at idle and 10-11psi at full throttle. The gauge is after the fuel filter right before the IP. Any ideas on this one?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM

there is a tsb computer reflash for warm hard starts on certain model engines ( i just took mine in for this)

check this site

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html

also, I had more hard start issues after I put my walbro pump kit on. It ended up being caused by too much pressure. Turned the pressure down and it took away the hard start issues. I still went ahead and did the reflash, to get the latest software updates. 72 bucks at the dealer for this.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 AM

Have you tried to shut it off and turn it back on instantly, to see how long it takes to crank right after its shut down?

If it fires right back up, but takes longer if you let it sit awhile, then it could be a slight fuel leak.. somewhere.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 AM

I actually tried that last night after seeing it had good preasure and it started right back up. Ill check around for a leak. I have not smelled and fuel, but we'll see.
another thing I noticed after getting the FP gauge in is that after the truck is turned off the fuel preasure gradually goes back down to zero. Is that normal? Or should it hold some preasure?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they all bleed down after you turn them off. we have F650's at Work and they have 24v's in them and they have hard starts like yours right before the injection pump goes hopefully this is not the case with yours. BTW for some reason our trucks hardly ever throw codes for it either, they just stop running or wont start.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:20 PM

****, that sucks to hear. Is there anyway to check the presure coming out of the IP?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:41 PM

Still cant figure it out. When starting it up today it took a while to crank up, but once its running in runs fine. Fuel presure is still good. Its giving me a 1693 code, but the local autozone is closed so I cant get it read tonight.
Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Checked the codes this morning, had a p0216. Is it possible there is a sensor not working somewhere or is it pretty much always the pump when you get the p0216? Everything seems fine except the hard start up.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM

A 0216 is almost always indicative of injection pump failure.....

Doug Smith
Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks for your reply, PM sent.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 AM

you could keep running it but the pump will leave you stranded sooner then later we have a F650 at work with a bad IP it would not even start the pump was so bad, but if you give it one small shot of either it would fire up and run like a champ, it just needed the prime first.

BTW I would NOT recommend that anybody use either on their truck, it is VERY hard on the motor. At my work we only do it if it's an emergency like a truck is stuck behind an airplane that needs to push back.

just think now you can buy a Hot Rod VP
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 AM

Ever since I got my FASS installed, my truck wants to do the same thing. But one little trick I figured out works pretty good. It only does it when the engine is warm. If you turn the key and wait for the "wait to start" light to go off and then start it, it will act a little hard to start. But what I found that has been working well for me is when you turn the key, listen for the FASS to turn on. As soon as it turns off, wait about 1 second and then start it. Starts just fine then. Works every time. I haven't checked for codes yet. Could need just need reflashed. I hope it's not the other thing it could be.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 AM

that sounds to me like your having hard starts because of to much pressure.
since you are waiting 1-2 seconds the fuel is bleeding back down to an acceptable pressure. I have heard of few guys with this problem and FASS I thought that you can adjust the pressure on the FASS to fix it.

End thread jack.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Hard starts when the truck is warm (especially when tank is low on fuel) is normally the VP44 going bad.

If high pressure is the problem there are several fixes, FASS has a softer spring that you can install to get a lower pressure, there is an ECM flash that you can get from the dealer or any Smarty owner, or a fix that has to do with delaying the LP from running until there is a certain amount of oil pressure. Try starting it like a gasser with out waiting, if it starts right off this is your issue or, you can wait for about a min after you LP shuts off then crank.

If it is your VP44, run it till it is dead, keep your tank full, the cooler the fuel is the easier it will start. Just replaced mine because it was doing the same thing, but mine got to the point where it was going to leave me stranded if I didn't get it changed.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 PM

My truck was hard to start when warm if low on fuel or first thing in the morning. I have a 14 hour each way road trip coming up on wednesday so I got a buddy to get me a new IP from the dealership through his shop.

Any tips for installing the new one and priming the system.

Quick Reply: 01 24 valve hard to start