1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Yee Haw Still Got Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd replace the self adjuster wheels and the plate they rub on while you are in there. Mine are still working a year and a half later!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright alright alright alright!!! Talk about something to make my evening awesome! Yesterday I finally got all the rearend put back together and ready to set back on the ground. After that with helps from my Pops we started putting a NEW not reman master cylinder on the bad boy. We got it all put together and started bleeding the system really good. We decided just to quit there and come inside incase we fired it up to see the pedel go to the floor I just didn't want to have that bad of a ending to the day.

So I was sitting here just scanning the board and the wonder building up in my head was just to much to bear! So I went back to the shop and fired that bad boy up,sitting there in the seat for close to a minute just afraid to hit the brake pedel and not wanting to feel the stomach turning spongy pedel(seeing how the truck has been sitting up for a month now cause of the brakes) Though when I hit them I got a real good firm response to the pedel ALRIGHT! After easing off the clutch(rearend is up in the air) to get the tires to spinning and hitting the brakes still had a awesome feeling pedel. So I drove it out in the yard,backed up in reverse several times and hitting the brakes to try to help adjust the shoes(which did help...hehehehe working self adjusters) then drove up and down the road several times trying out the brakes. Even got it up to 60mph,clutched it and hit the brakes...it even brakes in a awesome straight line without pulling*grin* I'm just pleased as punch and gotta a big grin on my face for the rest of the evening. Thanks for all yalls helpful hints,ideas and opinions because they really payed off

Jimbo
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Glad you got it figured out. Want to work on a 92 now? Just kidding. I just need to readjust my rears. The adjusters on my "new" axle were worn last time I looked at them. Towing 12-15K behind it without trailer brakes made for some pucker power moments to be sure.

Daniel
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hey there kid glad to see we lead you down the right path. Now that you got it stopping good should we lead you astray by getting her rolling a little quicker
glad to hear your finally on the road with it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Talking A Poor Man Has Poor Ways

Originally Posted by woodrat
I also should pull the rears and put in new adjusters since mine were kind of worn looking in the teeth,

Many is the brake-adjuster that I have taken a three-cornered triangle file and sharpened the teeth, even on some that didn't have any teeth left.

Once, in a real pinch, I even took some all-thread, with a washer welded on, teeth filed into the washer, and a long coupling nut, filing notches into the ends to straddle the shoes, and made an adjuster.

I am not positive, but that homemade adjuster just might still be in one of the brakes on one of the cattle trailers.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Glad you were successful, Jimbo! Thanks for the pics to help the next guy.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM

rattlerbob-most definately we'll get her rolling a good bit quicker. When I get the time I've been searching around trying to find out as much about the VE as I can. Once I feel like I can I want to get tweaking the pump(first gonna get my gauges) I've owned several of these trucks but never kept them long enough to tweak on them. We also have another 91.5 D350 of my Pops that we're restoring slowly so I want to get everything down pat on my truck so once his is back together looking better than the day it rolled off the line we can tweak it really well
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 PM

I had 2.5 inch wide shoes and it always seemed like it would never stop. I changed to the 3 inchers and she started to brake like a dream.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good deal kid i knew from the start like i told you it was a fluid problem as long as i can get good info i can usually find the cure. The gauges would be a great first step before you make any fueling changes and they will help protect your engine and can help to figure out problems that could come up later. Keep reading and learning it is a never ending process.

When you are ready to play with the pump we will help you if you need it.