1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Yall were right

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yall were right

Thanks guys for your responses to the turbo thread cause if I went and bought a new turbo it wouldnt have fixed the problem because I now know that I have a bigger problem I took my truck to Southeast power systems (a reputable shop) and dropped it off yesterday they called me today and said that my Injector pump was bad $1250.00 parts and labor to rebuild, tweak it and replace the lift pump before taxes. THAT SUCKS i wish it was the turbo. The guy at the shop said he has never heard of a 3200 gov spring and if I wanted on he wouldnt warranty it for the one year warr. that they give he also said that a 16cm ex housing or a wastegated housing would be the same as getting a whx35 and that a whx35 with a machined exhaust housing with a hx 40 wheel was overkill because the fuel system on our trucks wouldnt keep up. any thoughts or comments?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Den

For that price I would call around. I know there are tons of places that do the pump rebuilds and somebody that has gone the rebuilt route hopefully chimes in. Also a more performance oriented shop will know about the spring mod and know that the caps wouldn't stay on, so they wouldn't install them

I think this is something that we can tackle and save you some cash.

As for the turbo stuff, I think his brain is stuck in "stock truck" land.

Den
Old 03-22-2005, 06:38 PM

yeah I think he's a real by the book kinda guy I already told him to do it im tired of screwing with it I just want it fixed so I guess ill pay out the rear this time and try to learn more as i go I dont know squat yet about diesel motors so I'll just keep watchin and and try to retain some of the knowledge that passes through here.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Banned

so what's wrong with your truck?

I mean, what are the symptoms?

Forrest
Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 PM

It just wont accelerate as good as it use to and it wont pull a load for crap I can cruise on flat ground just fine but if i hit a hill it slows down and will not accelerate I put 4000# on 25ft goose friday and it strained for the whole 90 mile trip hit a hill on the interstate and dropped from 70 to 55 when i topped the hill I live in central FL and there aint any big hills around here more like an overpass it feels like im constantly dragging a huge boat anchor behind me.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely speak with a reputable PERFORMANCE oriented shop like Piers before you make your decision. Maybe members like STOMP should remove their twin turbo setups and re-install their h1c 'cause heaven knows the little VE pump couldn't possible spool twins Seriously, cummins powered dodges occupy a relatively small niche in the diesel world and, imho, it pays to shop around when it comes to advice on tuning our trucks. Not to take anything away from big truck shops--them boys (and girls) know their stuff and know it well--they're just not always on the same page as a performance enthusiast. Kinda like taking your hot rod to MONRO to have a custom timing advance curve built into your distributor

bummer about the pump--good luck finding a solution

greg
Old 03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Den

Did they give any details or are they just going to throw parts at it and hope it fixes it?

If they say it's the pump, i'd want some details of what they think it is. Also are they just going to get a rebuilt pump and replace it, or are they going to do the rebuild in house?

Den
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you still have full travel at the throttle lever on the pump when the accelerator is pushed to the floor? The linkage wears and the cable stretches over time, that's a common cause of low power. The other things to check would be a clogged fuel filter or a weak lift pump. I'd hate to see somebody change the injector pump unnecessarily.

BTW, I guess my turbo's too big too.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:57 PM

In house rebuild he told me they checked the boost pres and it was around 13# they also checked the lift pump pres and it was OK but on the low side of the spectrum he said a couple other things but hae talks kinda fast and i talk kinda slow he's deffinatly professional but NOT performance oriented they are a big company and I believe theyr diagnoses because if he is wrong I WILL be drivin my low powered truck up
Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 PM

Wanna , I checked the lift pump pressure myself a while back it was 6 psi the pump was missing the full throttle stop bolt when i bought the truck but me an DEN checked the cable when he was over it also looked ok
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I wasn't there but, that's on the steep side form someone with obviously limited experience with that pump.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

tell me this isn't the same mechanic who told you that your turbo was bad!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 PM

the only good thing about it is they are a certified BOSH repair facility and when I called Cummins in tampa I found out that is where they send pumps to be rebuilt. This sucks and I hate it but im not educated enough to ask the right questions or know better when someone is BSing me and time is important cause the sooner it gets fixed the sooner ill get to makin money again, the plant where i work cut all OT and my truck is my other source of income ,live and learn. One day ill stop being chicken and just get under the hood and learn from trial and eror. im just scared to death that ill screw something up
Old 03-22-2005, 07:19 PM

NO! WAY! trust me ill never talk to that quack again
Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM

I am currently getting my pump rebuild for $750 CAN. My symptoms were not loss of power, but having to keep the truck plugged in to start it. It got really hard to start after i drove for 15-20 mins then shut off. The guy i'm getting to rebuild the pump used to own a fuel shop in Alberta, and still has all his old equipment . He is putting in the 3200 RPM spring for me during the rebuild as well as "warming it up" a little. It should be done by friday so i'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Yall were right