1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Y'all Help Me Upgrade My A518/46RH (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Question Y'all Help Me Upgrade My A518/46RH (long read)

Folks, I'm discombobulated.

Like many of you, the hotrod I've daydreamed about, with all it's variations, has turned out to be my Dodge CTD.

And I'm good with that.

I've done the usual tweaks with the engine and getting the power we've all come to enjoy. However, with the increasing power, comes the increasing losses in the trans. I saw on a transmission related website just recently where one typically looses up to 45 horse power through the typical stock 727 which appears to be a parent of the A518. And that doesn't include the torque converter as I read it!

I want to fix that. As best as possible anyway.

I've always been one to want a solid foundation for anything and my heaps trans isn't gonna slip by any more (No pun intended).

BUT! I'm no transmission professional. By a long shot! The thing I'm running into is with all the information available these days with the Internet, I'm fast becoming overwhelmed with trying to sort through all that's available.

Would you good folks help me pick out the right parts? Pretty please?

As it stands, I don't work the truck. It's more of a play truck, occasionally getting groceries and maybe going to the beach once in a while.

But I've taken to drag racing it as of late. With that, I'm exposing the trucks weaknesses that are attributed to normal wear and tear.

Blah, blah, blah . . . . .

I'm fixing to rebuild the transmission and can't cypher the parts one would normally expect to replace during a routine rebuild. Couple that with throwing in some upgrades, and I'm lost.

Wanna give it a shot?

To help make things easy, I've included an exploded view of the typical A518 complete with numbers for each of the components/sub assemblies.

If you would, offer suggestion, referencing the part number seen in the image, as to what I should plan on replacing. Further, again referencing the part numbers of the image, suggest high performance upgrades suitable to an engine producing 350 to 400 horse power.
Thank you BIG-TIME in advance.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Generation Admin

Name:  518_463.gif
Views: 4978
Size:  205.1 KB

As of this post, I've the following parts on hand ~

- This flexplate: http://www.prwonlinestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=284

- This torque converter: http://www.suncoastconverters.com/do..._products.html

- These components for the trans itself: http://www.suncoastconverters.com/do..._products.html

Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 AM
1st Generation Admin

Anybody?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave,
I recomend all new torington bearings in the OD section, number 78, 79, 80. Number 101 is the pressure plate that one of the bearings rides on, it will usually come with a new bearing kit. It came in the one I got from Dave Goerend.

I also replace the snap ring #153 in your breakdown in the OD section. I also put a new OD piston retainer in mine, #114. I was building off a 47RE, the holes for the gov. tubes are not drilled in the stock one, I also drilled a .040" hole so the rear roller clutch gets more lube.
Check your sun gear in the OD for pitting, replace if it is. Your gears should be straight cut, there are also 15* and 23* gear sets, I was told to stay away from 23* gear sets.

Check the direct spring #116, should be 4" tall IIRC.

It doesn't show them in your breakdown, but there is a small cover on the OD tail housing that covers the snap ring to remove the OD from the housing. Mine where stuck so tight I had to weld nuts on the bolts to get them out after I broke 4 torx bits trying to get them out.
I didn't put any bushings except for the front pump bushing in mine, I don't know how yours are, but mine where fine.

I know I've mentioned it to you before, the front servo cover should at least be replaced with one that has an o-ring to seal the shaft.

As far as setting up your upgraded front clutch, I would talk to suncoast on the clearance you should have on that clutch pack with extra discs in it. Also if you are not aware of it, the front drum had 2 different inner seals in the master kit I had, apparently the inner seal groove may or may not have been machined correctly. If its too deep then you'll have to use the wider seal, it was explained in the master kit directions.

Also, how are setting up the shims and spacers for the OD section? Do you have the tools?

Patience young grasshopper, not many people do their own trans work.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Generation Admin

Good info there Mike. I especially appreciate what seems "Insider's" tips such as the lube drilling. Kewl!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, the hole location was part of the directions that came with the OD piston retainer, the directions where available from one the web sites you where looking at on pdf format.

On a different note, I'm going to a truck pull with the old girl tomorrow. We'll see what does or doesn't break, hopefully nothing.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
1st Generation Admin

Mike, I'm having problems with the different names for the clutch-packs.

- Front clutch (or forward clutch).
- Rear clutch.
- Overdrive clutch (or brake clutch).
- Overdrive direct clutch.

The first two appear to be located in the trans case (proper).
The second two appear to be located in the tail section or OD housing.

Then there's mention of the intermediate clutch. ????

I'm trying to come up with the clutch and steel groups, primarily from these folks ~ http://www.redrider.us/518_parts.htm (a little down the page).

I can't figure out which group goes with what clutch. The terminology is not consistent it seems.

Further, the more I look, the more I'm confused as to what the SunCoast kit includes (for what clutch-pack).

My head hurts.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talk to Auggie Dog-He can tell you about his 47RH that we put in place of that 518. As far as parts go, they sky and your wallet are the limit. But the question that you really need to answer is----Where and what are you going to do with the truck. 400HP or 900HP. Sled pulling, drag racing, or just messing around. You can call me if you like. PM me for the number if you lost it.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Mike, I'm having problems with the different names for the clutch-packs.

- Front clutch (or forward clutch).
- Rear clutch.
- Overdrive clutch (or brake clutch).
- Overdrive direct clutch.

The first two appear to be located in the trans case (proper).
The second two appear to be located in the tail section or OD housing.

Then there's mention of the intermediate clutch. ????
1st two are in the trans case O/D`s are in the OD unit, intermedieat?...they might be talking about the low/reverse brake (sprag)? I`d give em a call/ FWIW a fella i work with, built a 727 over the winter for his 65 Mopar half breed-Rambler wagon . He got all of his hard parts from http://www.redrider.us/518_parts.htm and he was happy. His front clutch drum was delivered with a machining defect and they made the situation right immediatly so he was happy.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Talk to Auggie Dog-He can tell you about his 47RH that we put in place of that 518. As far as parts go, they sky and your wallet are the limit. But the question that you really need to answer is----Where and what are you going to do with the truck. 400HP or 900HP. Sled pulling, drag racing, or just messing around. You can call me if you like. PM me for the number if you lost it.
350 to 400 HP. As it stands, I don't work the truck. It's more of a play truck, occasionally getting groceries and maybe going to the beach once in a while.

But I've taken to drag racing it as of late. And I run it for all it's worth when I do. I'll PM you.

I already have the flexplate and converter. I've got an intermediate (2nd) band (2" rigid) with a billet strut and anchor.
I want to replace the OEM discs, steels, and bands. Where possible, increase the number of each (to a degree).
My budget will allow a new or improved front and rear servos with cover(s), accumulator, as well as a few other hard parts.

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
1st two are in the trans case O/D`s are in the OD unit, intermedieat?...they might be talking about the low/reverse brake (sprag)? I`d give em a call/ FWIW a fella i work with, built a 727 over the winter for his 65 Mopar half breed-Rambler wagon . He got all of his hard parts from http://www.redrider.us/518_parts.htm and he was happy. His front clutch drum was delivered with a machining defect and they made the situation right immediately so he was happy.
Yup, I'm getting the majority of the parts from that same group.

Thanks folks. Keep it coming.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://mmerlinn.bravehost.com/f/tsc.htm

This link does have a pop-up ad and other goofy unwanted bs but does provide some interesting information regarding the drums and planets.

You need to click on the "transmission" category on the right hand side, then the "Chrysler/Dodge" category and finally the "A727 notes".

My sincerest apology for not figuring out how to directly link to the intersting info .
Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by sdstriper
http://mmerlinn.bravehost.com/f/tsc.htm

This link does have a pop-up ad and other goofy unwanted bs but does provide some interesting information regarding the drums and planets.

You need to click on the "transmission" category on the right hand side, then the "Chrysler/Dodge" category and finally the "A727 notes".

My sincerest apology for not figuring out how to directly link to the intersting info .
Thanks for the link, however the "transmission" link is coming up 404 (page is gone).

They may be in the midst of moving.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
1st Generation Admin

As it stands, I'll be installing the following ~

- SFI Flexplate
- SunCoast Converter
- Upgrading the forward clutch-pack from 8 friction elements to 12 with a modified piston
- Upgrading the direct clutch-pack from 8 friction elements to 10
- Upgrading the overdrive clutch-pack from 5 discs to 6
- Upgrading the overdrive direct clutch-pack from the 8 discs & 9 steels to the 48RE version that uses 23 single sided clutches
- Overdrive Torrington Thrust Bearing and Plate
- Billet Rear Servo cover
- The forward band from flex to ridged
- Billet strut and anchor for the forward band.
- Dual ring billet servo and cover for the forward band
- Dual ring billet accumulator
- OD spring that's 1/4" longer than OEM
- 4.2 Ratio Band Lever
- Bolt in Roller Clutch
- Overdrive Overrunning Clutch
- Low / Reverse Roller Clutch
- Torrington Thrust Bearings, thrust washers, selectives, Overdrive Set-Up Shims, etc.
- Upgraded overdrive piston retainer
- Overdrive solenoid

All the upgraded clutch-packs will use the Alto Red Eagle clutches with the Kolene steels.

It'll either work very well of be an expensive puff of smoke in short order.

Without having been in and checked measuments, would you good folks agree it's a good idea to go ahead and replace the pump gears?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading The A-518

DAVID- I JUST UPGRADED MY TRANS TO A 94 47rh AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOWWWWWW!!!!! WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE IT MADE. McMOPAR BUILT THE TRANS AND I HAD TWO DAYS TO TEST DRIVE BEFORE I PULLED ME AND MY FAMILY AND 25 ft. TRAVEL TRAILER TO ONEONTA,NY SO MY SON COULD PLAY BASEBALL AT COOPERSTOWN BASEBALL CAMP. THE TRUCK PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY WITH BUNCHES OF POWER TO PULL HILLS IN W.VA,PA. AND NEW YORK. NOW REALIZE I HAVE NOT MADE ANY POWER ADDITIONS TO ENGINE. I CONSISTANTLY HELD 60 - 65 MPH. WHILE CLIMBING AND ONLY TWO OR THREE TIMES HIT BIGGER GRADES WHICH PULLED IT DOWN TO 55 - 58 MPH. DAVE, ALL I CAN SAY IS LOOK FOR A 94 - 95 47RH AND DO THE UPGRADES AND PUT IT IN AND YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. I AM POSTING THIS ON MY IN-LAWS COMPUTER CAUSE MINE IS DOWN, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME DAVID IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. 919-387-9368. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS UPGRADE I CAN'T STOP SMILING AND LAUGHING .... AUGIE DOG