1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Woohoo, add me to the list of Stan's exhaust recipients!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90firstgen
The engine is louder going down the road than the exhaust will ever be. My 90 seems to have more engine noise than my dad's 93. Not sure if they put more sound insulation in or what. The exhaust didn't make the engine louder though if that's what youre asking.
Alright that is what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up. I think the non-IC trucks are generally louder than the IC trucks, but could be wrong.

-Steve
Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Folks, sorry for the late reply.

I asked stans if there was a price difference but there wasnt any.

You will end up paying the same price fot the kit if you ask for a straight pipe.

Nice shots of the exhaust!

Cool thread.

By the way... I installed my system by my self using ropes to hold it all in before tightening it all down and welding hangers etc.

Two or more people would be better but It can be done solo.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
If I had to do another exhaust job by myself I would invest(cheap, too) in a few panduit straps, or as you may know them as large zip ties. They are used for HVAC work, and can help in holding your system for you while you are bolting everything up. They are on the shelves at your local Home Depot.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Giggity giggity goo, it's on!

Well its on. I was kinda under the gun to get it done (using a friend's shop and I had to work today), so my hanging job wasn't exactly the greatest per say. I used some universal hangers I had bought a while ago to hang the rear and tail section of the piping. I used 90firstgen's tail section idea for the hanging. Unfortunately I couldn't get the chunk of sheared off bolt out of my bellhousing . But either way I think the exhaust is fairly rigidly mounted. It moves a tiny bit, maybe an inch, which is acceptable I think. Regardless, I'm going to clean up my hangers and probably add/fabricate another around the downpipe section for extra strength. And since I was under a little pressure, I didn't take very many pics, sorry guys. Once I get everything installed a little more clean, I'll snap some photos and put up small write up. Plus it'll have a 5" stainless tip on it then.

OK, now for the good part hehe.
Overall impression: It sounds really, really good. Much lower tone and since it exits out where it's supposed to now, the sound is much quieter in the cab. Turbo spool up is a tiny bit faster and I notice that it cools down much quicker after hard pulls (coasting in a sense). I did wake my folks up when I left for work this morning . And it seems to me that the lower tone is more has more bass to it. Think of a vehicle with subwoofers in it pounding, you can hear it for a ways, that low boom boom sound. I suppose this is due to the straightpipe edition of this exhaust. I can only imagine the muffled version is more quiet/less resonance in the neighborhood.

If anyone is thinking about putting a 4" system on their 1st gen, I highly reccomend Stan's system. Fast shipping and an awesome product. Two thumbs up from this gearhead .
Old 04-15-2007, 12:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The hangers I used were cut from pieces of steel rod I found metal detecting on the beach. In other words, I found some good tent stakes. and I did find them with my whites metal detector (at least a year ago)

Used measured and cut small pieces and welded them to the parts that I cut from the old exhaust.

What ever works.... just as long as there is rubber between the exhaust and frame and my pieces are strong.

Glad you wrote about the bass sound

Regards

Dunn