1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Woohoo, add me to the list of Stan's exhaust recipients!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo, add me to the list of Stan's exhaust recipients!

Well I finally ordered up my new 4" exhaust from Stan's Headers. I got the straight pipe version (sweeet ). It should be here in about a week or so. I figure I'd do a write up with pics on the install (even if it is just an exhaust install haha). Ahh I can't wait for that low rumble of the tractor hehehe.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:50 PM

You'll love it. Welcome to the club
Old 04-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like I'm going to have to spend a little $ to keep up

If you don't mind, how much did it cost?

I'm deciding between the shopdiesel.com 4" downpipe-back exhaust or a full 4" turbo back. Either way I should have a 4" exhaust by the end of April
Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 PM

tom, i thought you were gonna do water meth next?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 AM

I'm planning of getting a stans exhaust soon hopefully
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM

ill get mine soon 2, it'll help flow the smoek to my new comming 5 inch stack!!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
tom, i thought you were gonna do water meth next?
I was planning on it, but a couple people talked me out of it. I like the idea of constantly lower EGT's, not just when it's injecting W/M. I also looked under the truck at the horrible stock bends over the rear axle, and I'd rather take care of that first.

I'm also concerned about transmission durability with the extra 60-70 hp and 100 lb. ft. torque.

If I'm making enough money, I'll probably do W/M this summer sometime.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I'd like to get a 4 incher myself but I'm thinking a nice quiet muffler would be good also. I like the sound but from the outside it's really loud sometimes given the weight of my foot.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Well its here. Pretty dang fast shipping if you ask me (well it could've been here yesterday but the UPS guy screwed up and didn't realize it was the same address as another parcel we got ).

Now I have a few questions about hanging it. 90firstgen I noticed you used a generic exhaust hanger on the tailpipe section. Do you have any more pics of where it bolts to? As well the mid pipe section where the muffler is supposed to go . I guess it just bolts up using the stock bracketry and rubber hangers.

Lastly what about the downpipe bolt? I still have to extract the remains of a bolt from the bellhousing (long story haha), but I noticed that you cut the stock bracket off of the stock downpipe and clamped it onto the new downpipe.

Any detailed pics of the above questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucas

P.S. Pics and install write-up to come!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=NoSparkplugs;1457583] As well the mid pipe section where the muffler is supposed to go . I guess it just bolts up using the stock bracketry and rubber hangers. QUOTE]

I hade the same problem with this piece. I didn’t use the custom fabricated brackets that came with the centerpiece. I fabricated new hanger hooks (using old rubber) and welded them to the side of the pipe in the same spots from the previous pipe. If you look at my video you will see that the brackets are in the only area that seemed right for me, but didn’t match up with the stock bracket set-up under my truck and are not hooked up to anything. So the brackets are basically there for nothing. I positioned them so that I could do more fabs using more hanger rods in the future if needed. They did a good job making them though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYtSHDUTgs
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM

Nice ride there tomd.... I was wondering if 1) was the kit any cheaper from Stan's going w/ straight exhaust and 2) if your exhaust is too loud on longer trips...Thanks for the vid and nice rig again...Jake
Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
90firstgen I noticed you used a generic exhaust hanger on the tailpipe section. Do you have any more pics of where it bolts to? As well the mid pipe section where the muffler is supposed to go I guess it just bolts up using the stock bracketry and rubber hangers.

Lastly what about the downpipe bolt? I still have to extract the remains of a bolt from the bellhousing (long story haha), but I noticed that you cut the stock bracket off of the stock downpipe and clamped it onto the new downpipe.

Any detailed pics of the above questions is greatly appreciated.
Well first off, I didn't have any of the stock rubber hangers left so we had to make a clamp/strapping hangar on the tailpipe section. I don't have any pics of how the top of that hangar looks and I can't remember either lol. I'm 2 hours away from that pickup right now or I'd go snap some shots of it.

Midsection with muffler MIA: You can see the added pipe that isn't the aluminized from stan's. The muffler from stan's has a hangar on it and it goes right on that rubber hangar you see in the pic (closest one). I had already made the metal part of the hangar a couple years back when I did the first straight piping job. Basically it's just a piece of solid round stock that I used a torch and a vice to bend. Again, wish the pickup was here so I could take some pictures for ya instead of sitting at the parent's house needing a shift fork. I had to buy a couple of extra clamps 1) to be sure I had enough and 2) I needed some extra Also notice that ugly black stuff on the joints, can't remember what this stuff is called but dang does it work good! Seals everything up very nicely and you can pull the excess off after it dries. I just haven't done it yet.

I still used the stock downpipe bracket. It's had some welding done on it because it cracked awhile back and was making a pretty hideous sound. I attached the v-band connection at the turbo first so that was lined up perfect and I didn't have to mess with it later. Then I bolted it on to the bellhousing bracket. It was a cinch. Then I just started attaching pipe from there and went all the way back. If I were you I would go pick up a few extra 4" clamps because you never know when you'll need them etc.

Everything is very simple to do and if you have all of the factory rubbers then it will be a breeze. The only hard part is holding the pipe up and getting it right where you need it to be to clamp it. Definately a 2 person job I would think. Here's a few more pics just to show you how everything goes and to help with the install.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChevellePull
I was wondering if 1) was the kit any cheaper from Stan's going w/ straight exhaust and 2) if your exhaust is too loud on longer trips
The kit is a little cheaper without the muffler. Couldn't give you an exact amount but I want to say about $30 sounds right. I also didn't get the straight piece of aluminized pipe that goes behind the muffler which also saved some dough. If all of my windows are closed then I can't even hear my exhaust when I'm driving down the highway. The engine is way louder. When I'm cruising around in town I crack open the third window and listen to her sing! You guys will love this kit. By far, One of the best upgrades I've done.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 90firstgen
...If all of my windows are closed then I can't even hear my exhaust when I'm driving down the highway. The engine is way louder.
Engine louder, please explain?

-Steve
Old 04-13-2007, 10:29 AM

The engine is louder going down the road than the exhaust will ever be. My 90 seems to have more engine noise than my dad's 93. Not sure if they put more sound insulation in or what. The exhaust didn't make the engine louder though if that's what youre asking.

Quick Reply: Woohoo, add me to the list of Stan's exhaust recipients!