1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Won't Idle, Hard Starting When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't Idle, Hard Starting When Hot

Lately my truck has developed a starting problem after warming up: it takes a lot of cranking & more pressure on the pedal to start. Yesterday it stalled as I stopped after exiting the interstate, and would not start or idle without my maintaining pressure on the go pedal. Stalled a couple of times again last night. Each time the engine was fully warmed. The fuel filter is 2-3000 miles old. Is this a lift pump problem? It just seems like it fuel starves, but I can't think why it would only happen when the engine is warm. It does run fine until I let off the throttle-- then sometimes it dies. This has me very concerned, because I'm an insurance claims adjuster, hurricane season is here, and I'm going to need this truck soon at a moments notice. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
- Chris
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Change your filter. Then, make sure the fuel lines are in good shape, maybe they allow some air to get in after they heat up. Have you had to blead the injectors at all to start it? The lines don't have to be wet from fuel to be bad. Next I'd check the condition of the lift pump, then then pull the shut down solonoid and check for crud in there. At least you'll have the cheap fixes worked out before you spend money on an injector pump.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I second the air leak diagnosis - which could be the lift pump. '92 and '93 trucks rarely have trouble with the lines, but yours sounds like it's sucking air.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 PM

hopefully not this problem
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...2&goto=newpost
Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

ACtually Dave, the rubber connectors at the tank dry rot pretty regularly.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Good to know. Most of the guys posting with air leaks have the older trucks with the steel and rubber lines. Mine has been perfect - touching wood.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
Change your filter. Then, make sure the fuel lines are in good shape, maybe they allow some air to get in after they heat up. Have you had to blead the injectors at all to start it? The lines don't have to be wet from fuel to be bad. Next I'd check the condition of the lift pump, then then pull the shut down solonoid and check for crud in there. At least you'll have the cheap fixes worked out before you spend money on an injector pump.
No I have not had to bleed the injectors to start it-- it still starts, but today it will hardly idle at all. It runs just fine down the highway, which I can't imagine it would do if it was pulling air into the fuel system. If it comes to the point that I have to bleed the !@#$% injectors to start this can-of-worms, problems with it will be restricted to hydrolock on the way to the bottom of a lake. I will take a look at the rubber fittings on the tank, as I have noticed some seepage after filling, and if nothing's found there, I'll try replacing the filter (just can't believe it's the problem as new as it is). I would assume checking the lift pump entails checking time to fill a calibrated container. Oh, and I won't be spending money on an injector pump-- that's where the line will be drawn. Between blowouts (that almost tore the RF fender & airfilter off), blown seals, electrical gremlins, and brake failures, I've had about a gutfull of this interminable project.
Thanks very much to everyone for the helpful advice!
-Chris