1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

witch injectors to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question witch injectors to buy

Could some on explain the diff between pod edms, bd, 190s exc and witch ones you would rec. for the most clean burn,the ones with the lowist egts, the ones that would be best for halling, and were you bought, or would buy them from.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
For you 190's would be a waste, they are about the same as non-intercooled injectors.
They are a good towing injector for an intercooled truck.

POD's are big smelly industrual/marine injectors. Lots of smoke and EGT combined with about 60 extra RWHP - and they are the cheapest option. NOT the best choice for a tow rig, but lots of fun in a play truck.

EDM's or honed injectors (cheaper) can be whatever you want them to be, they are custom made for you. You tell the shop what you want. Sources include Scheid Diesel and Dynomite Diesel. You can also get honed injectors from PDR, they are the DPP ones
Old 04-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Question Now What

Not to hi-jack the thread but did I make the wrong choice in buying the PODS? I do not tow a whole lot but on occasions that I do it is only a 20ft car trailer.

Which injectors should I have bought? I haven't put the PODS in yet but was planning on it shortly.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Featherman
Not to hi-jack the thread but did I make the wrong choice in buying the PODS? I do not tow a whole lot but on occasions that I do it is only a 20ft car trailer.

Which injectors should I have bought? I haven't put the PODS in yet but was planning on it shortly.

Thanks
Put the POD's in.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:49 PM

Featherman, you'll be ok with the POD's, just at times you'll have to watch your pyrometer.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Thumbs up Wheeeeew

Okay guys...thanks.

Being new to this Diesel addiction, I didn't want to do it twice to get it right. I can here my mom already......." why is there enough time to do the job twice but never enough time to do it right the first time"
Old 04-30-2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
For you 190's would be a waste, they are about the same as non-intercooled injectors.
They are a good towing injector for an intercooled truck.

POD's are big smelly industrual/marine injectors. Lots of smoke and EGT combined with about 60 extra RWHP - and they are the cheapest option. NOT the best choice for a tow rig, but lots of fun in a play truck.

EDM's or honed injectors (cheaper) can be whatever you want them to be, they are custom made for you. You tell the shop what you want. Sources include Scheid Diesel and Dynomite Diesel. You can also get honed injectors from PDR, they are the DPP ones
I notes that on the PDR sight that thay had bigger inj then the 190, 220? or some thing like that.

EDM? honed inj, how and what do thay hone? dus that

mean that thay inlarge the spray holes,.....if so with what?

also thay say that the non intercooled truck need and adapter? I now that the injectors are of a diff size in the non intercooled,but how would you tell the diff if you had one of each in you hand?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:19 AM

Any body got pics of a non and intercooled inj?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by flashgordon
I notes that on the PDR sight that thay had bigger inj then the 190, 220? or some thing like that.

EDM? honed inj, how and what do thay hone? dus that

mean that thay inlarge the spray holes,.....if so with what?

also thay say that the non intercooled truck need and adapter? I now that the injectors are of a diff size in the non intercooled,but how would you tell the diff if you had one of each in you hand?
You were looking at the DDP injectors? Those are extrude honed, they push abrasive media through the tips to enlarge the existing holes. The precision is not as good as EDM, but the price is lower. Still a better injector than POD's. EDM is Electro Discharge Machining, they use high voltage to remove metal. Very precise and quite pricey, but if it's done right they give you the most efficient injectors you can get (minimum smoke and EGT for a given power level).

The adpater (it's a flanged copper bushing, replaces the copper washer on the bottom of the injector) is to put the 7 mm intercooled injectors into the 9 mm non-intercooled head. This is the diameter if the injector tip and has nothing to do with the amount of fuel the injector can deliver. Cummins made the injectors smaller to put more material in the head between the injector bore and the valve seats to address cracking problems in that area.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 AM

You were looking at the DDP injectors? Those are extrude honed, they push abrasive media through the tips to enlarge the existing holes. The precision is not as good as EDM, but the price is lower. Still a better injector than POD's. EDM is Electro Discharge Machining, they use high voltage to remove metal. Very precise and quite pricey, but if it's done right they give you the most efficient injectors you can get (minimum smoke and EGT for a given power level).

The adpater (it's a flanged copper bushing, replaces the copper washer on the bottom of the injector) is to put the 7 mm intercooled injectors into the 9 mm non-intercooled head. This is the diameter if the injector tip and has nothing to do with the amount of fuel the injector can deliver. Cummins made the injectors smaller to put more material in the head between the injector bore and the valve seats to address cracking problems in that area.
Thank Dave, been trying to fig these injectors out for awhile! And now the inj size finaly makes sence to me!!! And the crack issue to!

Is there a better process then the"Electro Discharge Machining"?...... Is this the process that thay us in the common rail eng's(thay are so small that you have to us a magnifing glass to see the holes in them! )

And last(ya right ) what does POD stand for?......Power On Demand Just guessing
Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
POD = Prince Of Darkness.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by flashgordon
Is there a better process then the"Electro Discharge Machining"?...... Is this the process that thay us in the common rail eng's(thay are so small that you have to us a magnifing glass to see the holes in them! )
No and yes.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:54 PM

No and yes.
thanks Dave and Edwin, apresh all the info!!

Will, go with the EDM for shore when i get ready and after i have done some pump experimenting!

Any sugestiion as to witch EDM's would be a step up from the stocker i have now?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

I'm going to have to stick in my 2 cents. EDMs aren't as acurate as many people think. They can have varying tolerances across the board dempending on the machine, Yes the are percise, with the holes preciscly in the right spot, but the acuracy of the hole tolerances isn't the same.

kennemetal (owner of Extrude hone) have a reputation for high-end quality, accurate products ( we use a "cheap" $800 facing mill at work from them and its awesome). IF the holes in question that are to be extrude honed are round to start with, the end result will be a smooth, large bore nozzles. If though it is not, which it probably isn't, then you will end up with the same out of round nozzle, just bigger and smoother.

Just my 2 cents. I would probably go with EDM's my self, but rollin the coal on POD's is more fun.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ruquik
I'm going to have to stick in my 2 cents. EDMs aren't as acurate as many people think. They can have varying tolerances across the board dempending on the machine, Yes the are percise, with the holes preciscly in the right spot, but the acuracy of the hole tolerances isn't the same.

kennemetal (owner of Extrude hone) have a reputation for high-end quality, accurate products ( we use a "cheap" $800 facing mill at work from them and its awesome). IF the holes in question that are to be extrude honed are round to start with, the end result will be a smooth, large bore nozzles. If though it is not, which it probably isn't, then you will end up with the same out of round nozzle, just bigger and smoother.

Just my 2 cents. I would probably go with EDM's my self, but rollin the coal on POD's is more fun.
thanks for you 2 cents and aprish all, and any that i can get!