1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wierd fuel issue. Possibly shutoff solenoid. Already member of pull cable club.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Wierd fuel issue. Possibly shutoff solenoid. Already member of pull cable club.

Over the last couple weeks my truck has developed a weird problem that I'm having difficulties figuring out. Though I suspect it may be my shutoff solenoid.

Hard to explain when the problems happens, but usually at a cruising speed at part throttle my truck will begin to hesitate for a quick moment than come back to normal. It will do this a random amount of times than drive fine for a bit. Sometimes it wont do it for a few minutes and sometimes it will constantly do it for a few minutes. There is no hesitation at WOT. When I'm in second gear at around 2500 rpm and cruising it will randomly do it as well, but it will hesitate a lot longer. Until I give it throttle and it drives normal. Today cruising down a hill on the highway doing about 80km (roughly 50 miles) in third gear it did it really bad. Was only holding the throttle and rpm was constant. Fuel definitely was not though, as I noticed my pyro temps coming way down to 200. (this was as it was hesitating the worst I've ever seen)

My best guess is that possible my fuse for the solenoid has gone bad, and the only reason why it will still drive is because I had long since torn the end end of the rubber off. So its still letting fuel by, but not much. Though it doesn't explain why it would fluctuate so badly and sometimes not do it at all.

And on another note. Does anyone know what size plug I could use to replace this solenoid with? If it is indeed my problem.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoPowa
And on another note. Does anyone know what size plug I could use to replace this solenoid with? If it is indeed my problem.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Take the solenoid out, remove the spring and plunger, replace the solenoid. Just connect the two wires that were on the solenoid together if your want the KSB solenoid to work when the air is cold in the intake manifold. Otherwise leave the wires disconnected.

Post back if the problem persists.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at page 6.....

http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGara...arageWWWMT.pdf
Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ended up pulling the solenoid and taking out the plunger and spring. It made no difference. But now I have a leak at the solenoid...tomorrows project. How are you all getting in there to tightening that dang thing anyways? Thought I had it good and tight, but hard to tell using the open side of a wrench at a 45 deg angle!

Pulled the afc fuel pin to make sure everything was moving ok, as I had just replaced the seal. It was good.

Than finally I pulled the two wires off the top of the solenoid and left them off. Took it for another test drive and the problem stopped. So I imagine that has something to do with my ksb. I'll check the sticky to see the next step.

Just thought I'd update on the problem just in case someone has a similar problem and ends up searching for an answer.