1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why remove the RWAL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
My experience with RWAL has all been bad. I had it on my 1995 2500 CTD and it NEVER worked well. The best it ever did was to lock/unlock (about a 1 second modulation, way too long) 3 time then lock completely or fail completely and stay that way.
The biggest problem with a split ABS is that the ABS function gets wonky when you pump the brakes (which you need to do in certain situations to keep the front from locking up and sliding). Pumping the brakes on an ABS messes up the anti-lock function. Read any owner's manual for any car with a FULL ABS and it tells you specifically NOT TO PUMP THE BRAKES but to hold pressure on the pedal and let the ABS work.
In situations where I had to pump the brakes in my 1995 the RWAL would either lock or or fail. Several times it caused the ENTIRE brake system to lock up or not work at all for 30-45 seconds. That's an eternity at 25mph or faster.
I understand that there may be legal ramifications for removing factory equipment if there is an accident. If you are in a fatal accident there will be lawsuits regardless of vehicle modifications simply for the fact that you are driving a 22-27 year old vehicle.
Because I have zero confidence in the RWAL on any vehicle (it's a fundamentally bad idea) I will be removing mine when I replace the brake lines. It wouldn't matter if it was functioning or not.
My math goes like this: If you lose 10 feet per cycle 3seconds equal 30 feet of full braking power lost.That 30 feet may well have prevented a wreck. That is if it works right. besides it is hard on the seat cover
Old 03-17-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I agree. With the sensor on the other side of a coupla hundred pounds of machinery with backlash, and no way of telling which rear wheel might be slipping and operating both in unison, it's a crap shoot on whether it'll even be effective in maintaining control, and a forgone conclusion that it will cost braking distance. When I'm pulling a double jointed string over the road, control and predictability is what it is all about.

The independent 4WAL system on an Astro van I once owned save my bacon more than once. It worked well at any speed on any surface. The worst was when someone stopped in the left lane of 70 MPH rush hour traffic with her right turn signal on. I dynamited the brakes and steered around her like I was on rails, creating so much tire smoke that I couldn't see into the intersection in the rear view mirror.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I think that the biggest problem that leads to the disconnecting of the RWAL valve is the incredibly badly made re-manufactured master cylinders.
New (not remanufactured) master cylinders are still available (Wagner brand) for about $55, which is roughly $25 more than the cost of a reman unit. For a part as critical as the brake master cylinder on a vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds empty, perhaps spending extra to acquire a new unit is the prudent course of action?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by james1
New (not remanufactured) master cylinders are still available (Wagner brand) for about $55, which is roughly $25 more than the cost of a reman unit. For a part as critical as the brake master cylinder on a vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds empty, perhaps spending extra to acquire a new unit is the prudent course of action?
Wagner sold out to Honeywell, which moved it all to China. Those units, from what I've seen here, seem to last a couple of years. I bought 2, they both had obvious rework on them. It appears that sometime last year they ceased production and the supply line is rapidly drying up.

I installed one last fall, and that brake system is acting like the rear wheel adjusters have stuck. We'll see sometime this week when I get around to checking it out. Odds are good the new Wagner MC is already bad in the rear circuit.

Repair kit is RAYBESTOS # MK1854 I just ordered the last one at Rock Auto. It looks like they are available elsewhere for about $30. One possibility might be to use a China Wagner for a core, and throw the Raybestos kit in it.

It appears we're rapidly getting shut out on repair options for stock master cylinders.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
That is what I did. I apparently got one of the last Bendix units from Amazon, Thanks njtman...Mark
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by j_martin
Wagner sold out to Honeywell, which moved it all to China. Those units, from what I've seen here, seem to last a couple of years. I bought 2, they both had obvious rework on them. It appears that sometime last year they ceased production and the supply line is rapidly drying up.

I installed one last fall, and that brake system is acting like the rear wheel adjusters have stuck. We'll see sometime this week when I get around to checking it out. Odds are good the new Wagner MC is already bad in the rear circuit.

It appears we're rapidly getting shut out on repair options for stock master cylinders.
Wow; I am sorry to learn this. Time slips by; the new Wagner master cylinder installed on my truck happened more than five years ago...
Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
That is what I did. I apparently got one of the last Bendix units from Amazon.
Mark:

Do you happen to have the Bendix part number?

TIA.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Mark:

Do you happen to have the Bendix part number?

TIA.
Bendix 11775, but it is no longer listed in their catalog. Let us know if you can find any...Mark
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
My experience with RWAL has all been bad. I had it on my 1995 2500 CTD and it NEVER worked well. The best it ever did was to lock/unlock (about a 1 second modulation, way too long) 3 time then lock completely or fail completely and stay that way.
The biggest problem with a split ABS is that the ABS function gets wonky when you pump the brakes (which you need to do in certain situations to keep the front from locking up and sliding). Pumping the brakes on an ABS messes up the anti-lock function. Read any owner's manual for any car with a FULL ABS and it tells you specifically NOT TO PUMP THE BRAKES but to hold pressure on the pedal and let the ABS work.
In situations where I had to pump the brakes in my 1995 the RWAL would either lock or or fail. Several times it caused the ENTIRE brake system to lock up or not work at all for 30-45 seconds. That's an eternity at 25mph or faster.
I understand that there may be legal ramifications for removing factory equipment if there is an accident. If you are in a fatal accident there will be lawsuits regardless of vehicle modifications simply for the fact that you are driving a 22-27 year old vehicle.
Because I have zero confidence in the RWAL on any vehicle (it's a fundamentally bad idea) I will be removing mine when I replace the brake lines. It wouldn't matter if it was functioning or not.
Understandable... there are so many different scenarios and different peoples experiences. I just know that I sure find that when its working (at least on my truck) that it works excellent to stop the big beast. I just wish more people would try and figure out the problem before just removing it I guess.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Repair kit is RAYBESTOS # MK1854 I just ordered the last one at Rock Auto. It looks like they are available elsewhere for about $30. One possibility might be to use a China Wagner for a core, and throw the Raybestos kit in it.

NAPA shows new, not reman, units in stock in my area. They look like Raysbestos part numbers?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Why not fabricate an adapter plate and install a good unit like a Wilwood, there should be cylinders with approprate bore sizes.

Brake Hydraulics, Brake Master Cylinders from Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Why not fabricate an adapter plate and install a good unit like a Wilwood, there should be cylinders with approprate bore sizes.

Brake Hydraulics, Brake Master Cylinders from Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
I 'm for that.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
This goes in the want-ads.

BC
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I think there's kits available. Has anyone here had success rebuilding them.
That's all I ever used to do until the rebuilt MC and wheel cyl prices got cheaper than it was worth to mess around with it. I never had an issue.

Seems like it might be time to go back to rebuilding....... I didn't look it up for all of them, but here's the kit for a 1990.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,1840
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
My problem with RWAL is that ABS isn't meant to be a split system. Pumping brakes "confuses" the ABS module and it quits working. With a split system you HAVE to pump brakes in low traction conditions. Panic stops are another thing.
To me the brake system is like a carry gun: if doesn't work EVERY time you pull the trigger its a paper weight. ABS is the same: if it doesn't work EVERY time it is useless and/or dangerous.
I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with ABS that worked. I could nail the brakes on packed snow with just OK tires, it would modulate 20x per second and I could steer around obstacles. That's how it should be.
I can't speak to how the 1st Gen ABS works b/c my rear cylinders shoot fluid like an SOB and don't work worth a squat. I can only speak to the efficiency (or lack there of) of a 1995 CTD truck.

Quick Reply: Why remove the RWAL?