1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why remove the RWAL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Why remove the RWAL?

I keep reading all these posts about people removing the RWAL modules on their trucks. This is a bit disturbing to me because I know first hand what happens when you need it and it doesn't work. In this case the truck spun because all 4 wheels locked up and sent the truck off the side of a mountain highway rolling 6 times until it hit a tree.
It isn't that hard to figure out why it's not working through process of elimination, but for gods sake don't remove it all together. How are you going to stop that much weight without locking those 4 wheels up? The RWAL is there for a reason and it works **** well. My truck fortunately lived to roll down the road again and still does today and you best believe my antilock works perfect.
I just hope people will think twice about it - I know it's a pain in the *** trying to troubleshoot it but please don't remove it.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I agree, mine is still there and functioning,
Also if you are involved in an accident where there is a fatal, investigators will tear your truck apart and find part of the safety equipment has been disabled.
They already pull your cell records to see if you were on the phone or texting.

Jim
Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Mine was downright dangerous.It would lock up and completely unlock(no rear brakes it all.) for about 10 feet then lock up again.It didn't work very ****good
That is a very scary feeling when It lets off and there is NOTHING you can do about it.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
It would lock up and completely unlock(no rear brakes it all.) for about 10 feet then lock up again.
That's the way it's suppose to work.
That releasing of the rear brakes for a split second (repeatedly), insures the truck keeps going straight.

When mine kicks in, it makes the pedal shudder as the RWAL device does its thing.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I think that the biggest problem that leads to the disconnecting of the RWAL valve is the incredibly badly made re-manufactured master cylinders. I myself could not believe that I could have gotten 4 or 5 bad MC's in a row and that caused me to start looking for other possible causes. I never altered the valve, but I did consider it. It is very true of the investigation that will follow a wreck, especially the PI's hired by the insurance company. I'm sure that there is a clause in the policy that prohibits any of that and could void the policy, just sayin' that it is possible......Mark
Old 03-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Had the exact scenario with the bad master cylinders- think it was 2 or 3. But did get it fixed.
Pulling cell phone records? That's crazy what this world has come to.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have worked and followed electronics and surveillance technologies for for many years (since the 60's) and you have no idea what they are already doing with your personal information and how they get it.

Jim
Old 03-16-2015, 03:05 PM

I don't dare to even imagine , but I believe it's all bad.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Had a thought on those master cylinders... You think maybe them failing could have to do with too much vacuum (for the unit)and crappy seals?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
If you ever watch the series America's Book of Secrets you'd see what it out there. From internet and phone companies storing information to facial recognition software used with surveillance cameras and beyond to satellites orbiting the earth . If you thought Orwell's 1984 was bad, well they already got that beat by 10,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by OVERTORQUED
Had a thought on those master cylinders... You think maybe them failing could have to do with too much vacuum (for the unit)and crappy seals?
I think it is more the monkeys they pay in banana's to "rebuild" them.

Seriously.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by OVERTORQUED
I think there's kits available. Has anyone here had success rebuilding them.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I think that the biggest problem that leads to the disconnecting of the RWAL valve is the incredibly badly made re-manufactured master cylinders. I myself could not believe that I could have gotten 4 or 5 bad MC's in a row and that caused me to start looking for other possible causes. I never altered the valve, but I did consider it. It is very true of the investigation that will follow a wreck, especially the PI's hired by the insurance company. I'm sure that there is a clause in the policy that prohibits any of that and could void the policy, just sayin' that it is possible......Mark
This is why mines gone.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you find a source for rebuild kits please let me know.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
My experience with RWAL has all been bad. I had it on my 1995 2500 CTD and it NEVER worked well. The best it ever did was to lock/unlock (about a 1 second modulation, way too long) 3 time then lock completely or fail completely and stay that way.
The biggest problem with a split ABS is that the ABS function gets wonky when you pump the brakes (which you need to do in certain situations to keep the front from locking up and sliding). Pumping the brakes on an ABS messes up the anti-lock function. Read any owner's manual for any car with a FULL ABS and it tells you specifically NOT TO PUMP THE BRAKES but to hold pressure on the pedal and let the ABS work.
In situations where I had to pump the brakes in my 1995 the RWAL would either lock or or fail. Several times it caused the ENTIRE brake system to lock up or not work at all for 30-45 seconds. That's an eternity at 25mph or faster.
I understand that there may be legal ramifications for removing factory equipment if there is an accident. If you are in a fatal accident there will be lawsuits regardless of vehicle modifications simply for the fact that you are driving a 22-27 year old vehicle.
Because I have zero confidence in the RWAL on any vehicle (it's a fundamentally bad idea) I will be removing mine when I replace the brake lines. It wouldn't matter if it was functioning or not.

Quick Reply: Why remove the RWAL?