1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why I Love My 18 Year Old Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why I Love My 18 Year Old Truck

Was talking to a friend today who has a '07 2500 4x4 QC with the 6.7 and auto. He commented that he was happy that on his trip to CO he got 13 MPG until he got into the mountains and was down to maybe 11. He went to pick up a horse with a small bumper pull trailer and got about 9.5! Another guy we know has a '04 F250 with the 6.oh-no. It broke down (again) on the road the other night and left them stranded with a trailer on the side of the road until they could get someone to pull them home.

And yet my old, uncomfortable, and unsophisticated 1st Gen, with 182k on it, gets me anywhere I want to go reliably. My buddy was sick when I told him I got 18+ towing a trailer with a Yamaha Rhino and a Sportsman 500 in the bed and unloaded can easily get north of 20 if I can keep out of the smoke pedal. He was even more sick when I took him for a spin in my old truck that has more usable power than his 6.7.

So let's hear some stories from the rest of ya'll. Let's hear some tales of making your friends and family upset when your raggedy ancient truck gets their new wonder-truck out of a bind.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ask them what their monthly payments are.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM

I was at a horseshow a couple of years ago and a guy in a 3rd gen was stuck in mud. I told him I'd pull him out and he eyeballed my old heap and had a real smug smirk on his face. I got out my 100' of chain, wrapped it around his ball hitch and around my gooseneck hitch and IDLED. I asked him not to assist in order to prove a point.
A few years before I got my hands on it, my now wife pulled a semi loaded with hay out of the sand it was trapped in.

These trucks might look old, but I think the John Deere moniker should be changed to, 'Nothing runs like a 1st gen.'
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Pulled my dads 6.0 to the dealer on a flatbed when it broke down. :lol: Wish I had a picture.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Guys at work that buy new trucks every 5 or 6 years always askking why I or when I'm going to buy a truck ? I have not had a truck payment in 16 years, its broken down a couple times, couple times it cost a bunch of money, maybe a years worth of payments. My truck needs some work, maybe 1/2 years worth of payments. I've written off 400,000+ miles on my taxes. No smog required, no computer to worry about, I don't ever intend to buy another truck. I owe less on my house than a new truck of the same capability would cost. When I don't want a bumpy ride I drive the car
Why the hell would I buy a new truck ?? Its a truck, and a truck is a tool, if I scratch my drill I don't buy a new drill. I love my truck.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM

I truly would not trade mine for a brandy new one.
I can fix it with a hammer, screwdriver, duct tape and bailing wire (if need be!) and it has achieved 24mpg a couple times! My Buddy bought a 2010 and it has been in the shop half a dozen times for various stoopid (yes TWO o's) maladies. the worst thing that has happened to mine is a charging problem on a trip that I fixed in no time.
Oh, and his payment is over $800.00 a month!!!!
I LOVE my truck!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
It's payed for, reliable, economical, and really annoys people when you pass them on the up hill with a big load holding the speed limit. They always pass me on the down hill, but they are speeding too.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 PM

I have atleast 4 buddies with a 6.0. I havent stopped talkin trash to them for the last 3 years.

The way I see it if I ever want to buy a new truck ill have saved enough money from driving the heap around that can I pay CASH!

My truck is keepin me out of debt
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

enough money for a new truck would also be enough money to send off my first gen to have it frame off restored, and have lots of goodies put in, and it would run for another 20 years!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Several people have offered to buy my truck, and they hate it when I tell them it is not for sale. They want one so badly that they act like I should practically give it to them for free as if they are doing me a favor by taking it off my hands. Not a chance. I don't want a new truck or the payment that comes with it because I like mine too much.

Dawson
Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
enough money for a new truck would also be enough money to send off my first gen to have it frame off restored, and have lots of goodies put in, and it would run for another 20 years!
Very very good point
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM

My wife wasnt to happy when I bought the truck last year. It was more than she wanted to spend, it needed some work,etc....... but, after all of the snow we had last year she realized how valuable it is. Her dad's Ford died after the first foot of snow so I took care of plowing the truck yard after we got another two feet of snow the following week. Not to mention, I pulled every one of those Freightliners and Internationals (17 of them) out of the drifted snow in the lot. Those rear wheels with no weight would just spin away going nowhere. The truck definitely earned its keep that winter, and the wife doesnt really mind me spending money keeping it up anymore.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My friend called 9:30 pm, f250 diesel broke down w/ 20 ft ., trailer. Went 90 miles, hooked up pull strap idled him out of ditch and pulled his rig 20 miles back to a big lot w/ lites so we could work on it the next day. That was the first pull i'v made with my trk., It may not be the fastest thing on the road, but sooner or later one of us will be towin one of thouse fast one's.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

i gave 4500$ for my truck 3 years ago ,,when i met the guy to buy it,,i had plans on trying to get the price down,,then he pulled in with it and it was in mint condition,,i couldnt get the money out of my pocket fast enough to pay him,,,last year my uncle got a 28 by 70 double wide the trailer company wanted 3500$ to move it,i told him 1000 and i would do it,,he laughed,,then after 2 people broke there c70 and c50 trucks,,i moved both pieces for him with no problem,,people were stopping and taking pictures ,,even cops ,,i have pics and will soon share them,,,,
Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gots_a_sol
I ask them what their monthly payments are.
Love how everyone assume if you have a newer vehicle that you are making payments. Some of us just pay cash for vehicles.

Quick Reply: Why I Love My 18 Year Old Truck